Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twist type 'garden claw' good for weeds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twist type 'garden claw' good for weeds?

I've been thinking of getting one of these or something similar for attacking individual weeds in an already tilled bed. Would I be better off just using a garden fork?
    I've seen them used to dig a hole for planting too but I've never used one.

Good tool or waste of money?

Nutter's Club member.

I've never used one, I like using a fork as I can get down and try and get all the roots out,always think these things might just snap dandelion roots off and more soon grow again.

Comment

Dandelions and any other long rooted weeds are what I would be targeting with this. I hadn't thought about this snapping off the root. Thanks for the reply burnie!
      Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Looks like one of those things for stirring up your compost heap. Used one a couple of times then went back to a fork.
        I'd probably do much the same with that Claw thingy. You could use a long handled bulb planter to take out a plug of soil around the weed..............but I'll stick to a narrow trowel or a fork.

Comment

Thanks VC (and again thanks burnie).

I almost bought one but thought I should ask about them here first. Glad I did!

And my garden fork remains my #1 favorite tool.
          Last edited by DWSmith; 15-04-2020, 09:00 PM.
          Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Remember, I've never seen one of those claw thingies so I'm just guessing what it would be like to use. It could be perfect for the job.........................but i wouldn't buy one.

Comment

I've got something similar but different (very helpful remark that...). Anyway, the twisty bit looks the same but it's operated by a footplate that you press down on with foot and twisty bit goes round. Do it repeatedly and eventually root releases and comes out, mostly on removal of twisty tool, though occasionally the root might need a bit of a tug.

No idea what the tool is called as Mr Snoop bought it secondhand. Works an absolute treat on deep-rooted plants.

The one shown in your picture looks a bit flimsy in comparison with mine and might not do very well in compacted soil however, as I bet the tines get distorted or come away from the rest of the tool. Not a problem if you have a local blacksmith or welder, though, or can fix it yourself.

Comment

https://www.homebase.co.uk/fiskars-x...puller_p178414

Similar to one of those snoop?

I tend to just use my hori hori (does most things for me to be fair) and a fork.

Comment

I have one that I use all the time in my raised beds for mixing in compost or manure. I find the twisting action puts less strain on my back than digging does. Bearing in mind that the soil is not compacted I don’t think it would be very effective on solid ground.

Comment

I'd say it was for breaking up compacted soil, not for weeding.
                    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I agree with above. I have one I inherited but haven't used it much. It is at this moment being used as a support for a wayward Lavatera.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny14 View Post
                        https://www.homebase.co.uk/fiskars-x...puller_p178414

Similar to one of those snoop?

I tend to just use my hori hori (does most things for me to be fair) and a fork.
                        Not quite like that, no. The prongs on my twist round, clockwise and anticlockwise. So the soil is effectively loosened. There's no leverage effect.

I love my hori-hori. Still got a callous from using it so much last year. Bought on Jay's and your recommendation if I recall rightly. Even so, there are some weeds that I'm really glad of a bit of help with. We have masses of common chicory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory - very pretty but the roots are multipronged and very deep.

Edited: here's what I've got (al-ko quickstep), only this one has got a broken footplate bit: https://www.easyliveauction.com/cata...l-collectable/
                        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 16-04-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

My concern with that tool is that you are twisting the prongs which is going to end up with metal fatigue relatively quickly.

I like the idea of a bulb-planter, you can get stand-up ones with a foot plate on it
                          https://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/faithfu...SABEgI1YPD_BwE

Don't get a flimsy one, I've broken a cheap one in clay. I prefer the ones with a serrated bottom edge as it can cut it's way in.

At the end of the day, I'd still use a fork as my tool of choice for dandelions etc.

I am finding my no-dig beds much easier to get dandelions etc out, you can often just pull them out

Comment

I inherited a long handled weeding fork, something like this--https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VWR5V...SIN=B00VWR5VZY

I have found it invaluable as it saves bending and enables me to weed beds without stepping on them.

For lawns I always use weedkiller especially as if not all dandelion root extracted they come back again.
                            Last edited by DannyK; 16-04-2020, 10:45 AM.
                            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by Starch View Post
                              I have one that I use all the time in my raised beds for mixing in compost or manure. I find the twisting action puts less strain on my back than digging does. Bearing in mind that the soil is not compacted I don’t think it would be very effective on solid ground.
                              Same her. We have one and use it from time to time. Really saves your money back.

Kind Regards..........Rob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X