Where do they come from?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do they come from?

I was going through a seed catalogue last night and looking at the information of sowing/planting dates it made wonder why there is no information about where they originally came from, information which would be a guide to weather and growing conditions, could anyone tell me if there is a list covering such information, I have tried Google but I could only get individual plant information or is there any list of information like that on the Vine
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

No idea rary. But it would be quite interesting.

Comment

I've not spotted a list while I've been browsing rary but it would make an interesting read.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Where do they come from
        Where do they grow,
        How do we grow them,
        When do we sow?

Rary, you'll have to explain this a bit more as its too early for me!

Do you mean - where are the plants normally grown - like Tromba d'Albenga comes from Italy.................
        or.............where did they grow the plants that provided the seed that you buy in the packet?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Where do they come from
          Where do they gr
          How do we grow them,
          When do we sow?

Rary, you'll have to explain this a bit more as its too early for me!

Do you mean - where are the plants normally grown - like Tromba d'Albenga comes from Italy.................
          or.............where did they grow the plants that provided the seed that you buy in the packet?
          Sorry about that VC I should possibly explained it a bit more for those who are unable to get motivated before midday,
          Though you Where, How and When is something like what I was thinking of eg.
          Tomatoes
          Where do the come from :- Tomatoes originally came from Western South America and first cultivated in Central America
          How do we grow them:- In most of Britain tomatoes seeds are sown and started off in a greenhouse or windowsill as a steady temperature of 18-20c 65-70f needs to be maintained and once up should be moved to a position where a temperature of 15c 60f can be maintained, keep in good light but shade from bright sunlight. There are 2 main types of Tomatoes 1st. is known as Determinate which is grown as a bush 2nd. is Indeterminate which is grown as a vine (side shoots need removed) and requires support
          There are also semi-determinate tomatoes which grows somewhere between the 2 main types as they are grown as a bush but may require support, and there is also basket or tumbling tomatoes which produces lots of small tomatoes which are great to grow for children
          The above maybe a bit long winded but it's an example of what I was thinking of and it would be nice to be able to come on to the Vine and get the history a growing conditions of garden plants, both flower and vegetable
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

If you're at a loss for something to do, so, why don't you research it and share your knowledge.

You could start with the Vine's Growing Guides - here's the one for toms..........https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/ho...owing-tomatoes

Comment

I've noticed on some packets of seeds I've bought over here that they talk about planting times for the south and north of the country.
              Because the weather here is more extreme than in the north of England where I grew up , I sometimes goooogle American planting zones for specific plants to give me a better idea. Not perfect , but it gives me an idea of what might not survive the summer heat/ drought or winter sustained subzero temperatures we sometimes get.

Good question rary
              Last edited by Nicos; 10-04-2020, 04:32 PM.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                If you're at a loss for something to do, so, why don't you research it and share your knowledge.

You could start with the Vine's Growing Guides - here's the one for toms..........https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/ho...owing-tomatoes
                To the first part of your post VC being a husband there is never any time when I have nothing to do, OH had a list that seems to get longer every day
                As for the second part if I had known about the growing guild I wouldn't have needed to ask the question, plus as I thought there would be a guild I asked the question "is there a list with information like that on the Vine" though I think you just wanted me to be busy for a time writing all that post down also when I read your post my first thought was is it the 1st. of April no matter its a long road without a turn

Comment

Many Grapes are unaware of those Growing Guides - but they're actually quite useful - especially the bit that tells you what needs to be done each month.
                  The links to "Threads" are out-of date but the basic stuff is relevant. Worth a browse when you have a free moment (and don't try to convince me you're too busy!!)

Comment

As there are no flowers in the growing guide VC, you could always do a guide to growing flowers, as from the comments the Grapes would like that,also it might would keep you out mischief

Comment

I know nothing about growing flowers (or anything) - I make it up as I go.

There is only one rule - that there are no rules!

A friend of mine was always telling me that - I didn't understand it then either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X