Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potted my two cucumbers into their final pots.
    Sowed some kale seeds in pots.

Lined the big bed at the allotment with roof tiles.

Harvested some nettles to make nettle feed with.

Comment

• Lift the plank off my carrot seeds
      plant more radish (direct sown)

Weed under the blackberries and raspberries
      Try to kill the unhappy rhubarb, harvest from the happier rhubarb.
      Plant some white cornflowers (direct sown) for the pollinators
      Harvest my first ever real spinach - soft and delicate, amazing
      Harvest chard and some stalks of walking onions to use like chives
      Cobbled together a construction to net the strawberries once I think the pollination is over...

Pot up the new perennial kales from eBay

Comment

• Repotted three pepper plants.

Earthed up the last of my potatoes.

Dug over and edged with roof tiles the last section of the bed I have my potatoes in. I shall be growing tomatoes and peppers in that bit.

Comment

• Cauliflower and kale planted out. They tend to get heat stress in hot weather so they went in.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Covered my potatoes, oca and grape vines to protect them from the frost tonight. I didn't have enough fleece, so the potatoes are covered with a double layer of insect mesh instead. It's not ideal, but the weather says it's only going down to 2 degrees, so they should be alright.

Pulled out my seeding daikon radishes, and dug the whole bed over. I shall be planting beans there soon.

Comment

• Sowed some more radishes.

Put up one of many bean frames.

Emptied out my compost bin, and spent a couple hours picking out the larger undecomposed bits (mainly twigs, grass stumps and dead strawberry plants), then spreading the rest on where I'll be planting the beans and the squash.

Comment

• I got some seeds delivered today, so sowed the wild flower selection for the bog garden round the new pond(no idea what they are), sowed some more French beans and also some cabbage savoy D'Aubervilliers, I've not grown any brassicas for a couple of years, but these caught my eye and I should have a bit of ground for them later that is netted.

Comment

• Last couple of days I've been mostly potting on cucs, courgettes and my toms, hopefully that will be the last time before they go in the GH borders and outdoor beds.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Sowed another pot of salad carrots.
                    Filled three big pots ready for my indoor sweet potatoes.

Sieved the reject pile from when I emptied out the compost bin yesterday, and managed to get two more buckets of compost out of it.
                    Dug in all the compost and some poultry manure into the big bed.

Set up my bean frames and wigwams.

Refilled the compost bin using the contents of the other bin, as well as two sacks of hazel leaves from autumn.

Comment

• Went to Wilko to buy some more 8ft canes, and set up two more wigwams.

Sowed some swede seeds.
                      Finished weeding the strawberries.
                      Strimmed the paths on my allotment plot.

Comment

• Planted out my peas, pigeon-proofed them. Planted some potatoes. Gave everything a water. Topped up the pond.
                        He-Pep!

Comment

• Planted out some beans and sweetcorn in a half barrel.
                          my brother in law gave them to me even though I didnt have any room for them.
                          planted out some bedding plants, three hanging baskets and several containers.
                          hoping the frost doesn't kill them.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• I broke my second digging fork while weeding a strip along the side of my plot that has not been cultivated for a few years.
                            Fennel is the intended crop.

Comment

• Moved all my beans and tomato plants onto the patio to finish hardening off.
                              The nights are going to be mild(-ish) from now on, so they should be fine, especially as my patio is very sheltered. They really need to go out, anyway, as they're getting far too big. The tomatoes are 2ft tall now, and some of the beans are trailing to 3ft and have all wrapped around each other. Getting them untangled will be tricky...

Comment

• I took the digging form back to the shop with the pristine till printout and they replaced it without quibbling.
                                It had an old knot in the shaft inside the socket so that you could not see it until it broke off.
                                I considered it unlikely that a like for like replacement would have the same fault so that is how I opted to sort it out.
                                I then continued right where I left off.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X