Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We did get a little bit of rain to water in those kohlrabi plants but not yet enough to fully test the water recycling system I built to stop all those flood storms we had been having for almost six months after trying to sort out the shed roof after a wild bramble with stems an inch thick had been allowed to grow over it. When I want to fix a roof it always rains for 140 days and nights. Biblical is normally 40 days and nights. It was just a shed roof this time but is was still bad enough to rain off the Christmas light turn on at Sheffield at the back end of last year.
    Setting up a water recycling tank has caused a drought.
    It looks like we are over the drought now and we had more than half of the first tank full from the newly fixed shed roof.
    I really aught to do one of those taking on a plot threads as I have collected enough photos of all the tap roots I have been pulling up in the wet weather since December.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Sowed some courgettes and cape gooseberries.

Did some more digging at the allotment, and earth up a few of my maincrop potatoes, which are starting to emerge.

Comment

• Potted on my brocolli plants.
        Planted out pac choy and mazuna seedlings.
        Covered all the greenhouse plants with fleece and bubble wrap.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Planted out the rest of my oca at the allotment.
          Resowed some carrots, and covered the carrot and beetroot seedlings with fleece, partly to keep them warm, but mostly to keep off pests, including sparrows which I suspect are nibblng my beetroot seedlings.

More digging.

Comment

• Took this lot down the plot - it’s sink or swim for them now, no more mollycoddling.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	D350B5B7-9340-4438-BD4E-5A1AE0495BE7.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2387131
            He-Pep!

Comment

• Originally posted by bario1 View Post
              Took this lot down the plot - it’s sink or swim for them now, no more mollycoddling.
              [ATTACH]91333[/ATTACH]
              Outdoors? In Edinburgh? You're mad!

Comment

• Originally posted by ameno View Post
                Outdoors? In Edinburgh? You're mad!
                Not quite - into the polytunnel.
                He-Pep!

Comment

• Potted up some sprouted pea and courgette seeds.

More digging the big bed.

I was concerned that three of my early potatoes still weren't up, despite having been planted more than 6 weeks ago, so I very carefully dug them up.
                  Something had evidently been eating the sprouts, as they were severed and full of holes. The potatoes themselves were still firm, and had new shoots coming, so I replanted them closer to the surface, so that the shoots didn't have as far to go.

Comment

• Planted out a block of 27 Sundance sweet corn, 6 courgettes, (3 yellow, 3 dark green) and 3 Crown Prince squash in their own little horse manure oases.

Trimmed out side shoots on my tomato plants.

Replaced a couple of sickly-looking Cavollo Nero plants with spares.

Hoeing, watering.

Comment

• Planted out a block of 27 Sundance sweet corn, 6 courgettes, (3 yellow, 3 dark green) and 3 Crown Prince squash in their own little horse manure oases.

Trimmed out side shoots on my tomato plants.

Replaced a couple of sickly-looking Cavollo Nero plants with spares.

Hoeing, watering.

Comment

• Weeded one of two strawberry beds.

More digging in the big bed. I'm over three-quarters done now.

Comment

• Potted on Sungold and Shirley tomatoes, and Black Beauty and Halflange Violette Aubergines. Best bit was settling them into their new home - a freebie timber and polycarbonate grow house that I found on social media earlier this year.

Oh, and picked up some bedding plants from a local nursery who are now offering click and collect.

Fab day
                          Last edited by muckdiva; 02-05-2020, 09:59 PM.
                          All at once I hear your voice
                          And time just slips away
                          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

• Beans in and frame built yesterday
                            Dug out the dalek, filled up my troughs for the greenhouse.
                            Potted on my butternut squash and some tomatoes (got about 30 going now).

Even sieved some compost to make fines for potting seeds in small pots.

Comment

• Dug out last but 1 of psb.
                              Planted out a calabrese that looked ready to go.
                              Sowed another (4th) half row of parsnips and searched in vain for signs of life in the other 3 half rows (over 3 weeks old now). Patience needed.
                              Also sowed more carrots berlicum under a cloche as the soil seemed nice and damp from the recent rain.
                              Noticed 2 red onion sets had gone to seed so marked them and nipped off the flower spike.

Comment

• Repotted my tomato plants, and planted out 12 module-raised lettuce plants.

Cut a load of comfrey to make comfrey tea.

More digging.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X