Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a little of everything. Weeding, tidying, seed sowing. Trimmed back some dead leaves on my strawberry plants.
    Cut back some dead foliage from last years dahlias.
    Had a little Robin beside me the whole afternoon so dug a bit of ground for him to peck around.
    It was a lovely mild day.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Emptied OH’s xmas biscuit tin so that I can use it for my seeds - nice square one with a clear lid (don’t worry, I didn’t eat them all, just put in a smaller tupperware!)

Comment

Got a text from my son at 9:30 tonight saying that there were loads of pallets at his work that were being disposed of tomorrow morning so jumped in the Bongo (Mazda's finest, far better than a VW Transporter :-D ) and filled the back with some fab wood. Wish I had a transit; I barely made a dent in the pile but some of it was ready-made raised beds, too! Yay for free wood!

Dave
        Last edited by FBI; 23-01-2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Need to take my 13 year old German Shepherd to the vet this morning. I hope they can fix her up.

Dry and bright here this morning.

Take care folks.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Had my first attempts at using a pressure cooker and tried out a few new recipes (it’s been chucking it down all day here...) Couple of batches of soup to use up the last of the pumpkins, and some chickpeas and soya beans which got turned into tagine/ hummus/falafel and soya milk/tofu/chocolate cakes respectively.

Comment

Dug over some of one of the main beds at the allotment, and installed my new bed edging (old roof tiles) around the section I had dug, replacing the old rotten wood which is there at the moment.

Comment

Planted out the two bare root apple trees I bought in Lidl this morning. They are each in a half barrel.
                Planted 9 dahlia tubers in pots with a hope of getting them started early.
                Did a bit of weeding and tidying.
                It was a beautiful day with temp reaching 14 degs.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Went to a garden centre and bought some flower seeds,
                  Also bought Rudbeckia and Echinacea plants.
                  Potted them up this afternoon.
                  Moved my sweet peas to the greenhouse.
                  The conservatory is becoming overrun with plants and seedlings.
                  I blame the mild weather,

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Potted on some Leek seedlings from cells into small pots, still in the conservatory though.

Comment

Stopped off at #2 offspring's work and picked up some more pallets (see last week), dismantled 'em and made 20' of fencing. Went back, got another six and dismantled those too. Ran out of nails :-)

Comment

Bit of weeding at home, then down to the plot for the afternoon. Weeded a couple of beds and pruned the currant bushes. Fingers crossed the weather forecast is wrong for tomorrow ;-)

Comment

I've had enough of Honesty - the flowery sort - so I spent some very enjoyable time pulling it up and snapping up the stems on the paths for the chooks to rootle about in.
                          Lots of Honesty seedlings popping up everywhere - but even better, so are the daffs.

Comment

Did some more digging and edging the bed with old roof tiles.

Comment

Checked in on my worms. I've started feeding in a higher tier and they haven't moved up there yet, so I haven't added any more food today. I did put a handful of worms in the higher tier so we'll see if they decide to stay there or head back downstairs (which they may, if the food scraps haven't broken down enough for them to start eating just yet). I took some pictures and videos to show people at work who found it hard to believe I had pet worms in my kitchen! I might see if I can post them here too.

I also had a poke around in the compost where I sowed my peas (for shoots) two weeks ago as I only have two shoots showing above the soil. Some of the peas look like they've just gone squishy, so perhaps they were just a bit old. Or maybe it's too cold for them, even inside. Still, I did did up one that looked like it had a shoot ready to go, so I'll leave it another week or so to see what happens.

Comment

Potted up a couple of bareroot fruit trees, as it’s been so wet I haven’t yet cleared the ground I intend to plant them in. Water pooling on the surface from last nights rain, so I decided best not to compact the soil trying to get them in the ground today!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X