No announcement yet.

Mystery location

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleted as all my suggestions have been made - must remember to read all the posts.
    Last edited by bikermike; 02-01-2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      How fantastic if it is!
      Like your idea VC of a then and now photo!
      If we go, we’re taking the same camera to take the photo. . Also a slightly more modern one as well, because that camera can only take 8 photos per film.

Comment

I hope I am wrong, but it doesn't look like the Mallaig I remember from the sixties, there were more boats in the harbour at all times, even when the fishing fleet was out
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
          I hope I am wrong, but it doesn't look like the Mallaig I remember from the sixties, there were more boats in the harbour at all times, even when the fishing fleet was out
          Rary you’re not wrong. After more research and everyone that knows mallaig like yourself . And Bob joined a mallaig fb group to ask. The general thoughts are, it’s not. So back to the drawing board.
          Last edited by Small pumpkin; 03-01-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I would give Iceland a search as I think it is a place that uses geothermal heating that you are looking for
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

did you have any joy on the camera - serial numbers etc? if you can find out where it was sold (even to the nearest country) you'll give yourself some better ideas.

My guess would be Scotland/New Zealand/Nova Scotia.

If you blow it up on a higher resolution is there any writing?

Comment

an unscientific poll of the office reveals
                - not Toronto
                possibly N.Ireland?
                Likely to be Scottish islands?

I the boat might be a good thing to work from - fishing boats are quite location-specific. If you can work out what kind of boat it is, you may get somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  Rary you’re not wrong. After more research and everyone that knows mallaig like yourself . And Bob joined a mallaig fb group to ask. The general thoughts are, it’s not. So back to the drawing board.
                  I'm not going to argue as I'd never even heard of Mallaig before yesterday, however, there are a lot of similarities with your old photo. Like the building with 5 windows, the house with the ridge that goes the wrong way to the other buildings, the church on the skyline, the group of trees.
                  According to goggle (and rary) Mallaig was a very busy fishing port in the 60s, so i agree, the boats are missing.
                  I love a mystery!!

Comment

Maybe they were out fishing

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
                      did you have any joy on the camera - serial numbers etc? if you can find out where it was sold (even to the nearest country) you'll give yourself some better ideas.

My guess would be Scotland/New Zealand/Nova Scotia.

If you blow it up on a higher resolution is there any writing?
                      We know a bit about the camera. It’s from the 1930s and made in Germany. It probably came over here by slightly unethical means during the war.

Comment

an unscientific poll of the office reveals
                        - not Toronto
                        possibly N.Ireland?
                        Likely to be Scottish islands?

I the boat might be a good thing to work from - fishing boats are quite location-specific. If you can work out what kind of boat it is, you may get somewhere
                        If we could see the name on that boat it’d be brilliant. Again not an easy task.
                        We’ve not payed much attention to the boat because we can’t see the name but it’s worth looking at more close as an avenue of identification. Will give it a go thanks.

Comment

An unusual thread this, VC actually thinks I could be right with something

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                            We know a bit about the camera. It’s from the 1930s and made in Germany. It probably came over here by slightly unethical means during the war.
                            How fascinating! it would be fascinating to trace that story in full...
                            To be honest, trade did carry on until the late thirties, so it may have arrived legitimately. The bigger problem is that I would imagine the manufacturer's records have disappeared, so you can't trace where that batch was sent to.
                            Did the film have any serial numbers etc on it?

Good luck with it!

Comment

Did the film have any serial numbers etc on it?
                              All we know about the film I put in the first post. First available on the market in 1960. Had its name changed in 1962. Can’t narrow it down more than that. It was an early colour film. The film developers advised that we have it developed in black & white bye to the age of the thing. More chance of recovering any images.
                              Back in a minute, I’ll see if I can find make again.

Comment

This is what I found
                                https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/I...our_Paper.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X