Rain and floods

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broadway View Post
    The main reason for replying to this thread was to say how overwhelmed I was by the neighbours help, concerns for others, and community spirit, I feel very privileged to live in the village of Shireoaks
    I agree, it brings everyone together.
    Fingers crossed for you all.

Comment

Aside from the flood plain building, there are people who will pay a premium to live near water - be it a river or the sea. The nearer the water, the greater the premium. They overlook the flood risk, the higher insurance cost etc in order to say "my garden backs on to the.......".

Lolie, if the UK could send its rainfall to NSW for a while, we would do so, willingly. Hope you're safe.

Comment

To answer the op, you'd end up woth concrete canals the size of the ones they filmed terminator in. Much better to work on improving the absorption of the ground and water storage capacity upstream.

As for living on floodplains, the population is going up, land area isn't. Something has to give

Comment

Thinking of anyone affected by the flooding, such a scary and fast moving situation. Hope things get back to normal for you very soon Danny.
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Hope the water levels are dropping in your area Danny, its disheartening how much damage flooding leaves behind.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

People may not realise that their houses have been built on flood plains, marshland etc. Often they are new to the immediate area. A good idea to ask around, especially older local people. In my home town some 1930s houses were demolished because they were sinking. The elderly lady across the road told my mum that yes, that field was a marsh before the houses were built.

Here in Edinburgh, there is pressure to build, build, build, regardless of commonsense. The landowners and builders make a lot of cash, and the public purse is left to pay for flood defences when homes flood in years to follow. Flooding can also affect houses that were fine before the new ones were built, as water has been diverted, and new hard surfaces mean rainwater has to find new routes. Cynical maybe, but sadly it's still happening.
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                Hope the water levels are dropping in your area Danny, its disheartening how much damage flooding leaves behind.
                Cheers Bren

I was/am amazed how quick the water cleared from the roads / pavements etc. although the river is still running fast!
                Cheers

Danny

Comment

Cheers Bren

I was/am amazed how quick the water cleared from the roads / pavements etc. although the river is still running fast!
                  Keep an eye out for mould. I've lived through several floods and the dampness hangs around for a while.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Lolie, if the UK could send its rainfall to NSW for a while, we would do so, willingly. Hope you're safe.
                  We're under a catastrophic fire warning for tomorrow. I should be fine where I am but I'm a little concerned about my daughter, who is further north. She can't even get out of the area at the moment as her final exam for uni is tomorrow.

Mostly, everyone is just praying that it's not as bad as forecast. You can taste the smoke in the air here today.

Comment

It looks horrendous, lolie. Stay safe, all of you.

Comment

Will be thinking about you and your family tomorrow then lolie xx
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hope everything is good for you and your family Lolie

Comment

I saw coverage on the news about the bush fires. It looks horrendous I hope you all stay safe lolie!
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you for the good wishes everyone. I think I'll start a separate thread about it to avoid hijacking this one.

Comment

Bloody raining again, Stella won't go out

The way the dogs look at you, can you turn the tap off please daddy
                              Cheers

Danny

Comment

Bloody raining again, Stella won't go out

The way the dogs look at you, can you turn the tap off please daddy
                                My dog stands at the door and watches the rain but won't go out in it. It's amazing how long she can hold on when it's raining. If she'd use a doggy toilet I would put one on my front verandah, but she won't.
                                Last edited by lolie; 11-11-2019, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X