Random crops question!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
    I see my plants as food, if I can't eat it I don't want to grow it I do love flowers too, for viewing not eating..
    That's my view as well, Nasturtiums are nice to eat though, I don't think I eat any odd combinations or maybe they don't seem odd to me
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

You put me in mind of Letitia Cropley in the vicar of Dibley.

Comment

I don't do odd combinations but I do think, "ooh the PSB is nearly ready, must get some gammon..." or " lots of peas, lets have lamb steaks..." or "oooh kaleslaw with our jackets today!"

Kaleslaw is da bomb, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
          Recipe pretty please pretty lady!
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like to add radish when making skirlie that's fried oatmeal and chopped onion, and adding chopped radish to the frying pan gives a bit zing to the dish
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
              I don't do odd combinations but I do think, "ooh the PSB is nearly ready, must get some gammon..." or " lots of peas, lets have lamb steaks..." or "oooh kaleslaw with our jackets today!"

What exactly is Kaleslaw ?

Comment

Sorry, I haven't been on to see this.

It's just coleslaw with kale instead of cabbage... Shredded carrot, shredded kale, a bit of onion if you like it, mayonnaise, anything else you fancy. Sometimes I add some pumpkin seeds and sometimes some apple.

Comment

How annoying I deleted my reply by accident.

I think a lot of veggies are naturally sweet like peas, carrots, parsnips and beetroot. I also belong to the family of people that don't taste any bitterness in Brussel sprouts. Some things have been done like carrot or beetroot cake but, what about parsnip mousse, or fennel ice cream.

I also think we don't make enough use of our naturally sour fruit, what about adding blackcurrants to a biriani or adding gooseberries to a Green Thai curry. I don't know if they would work but they would add something different.

I love adding fennel seeds and Szechuan pepper into soups as little pockets of interest, so why not dried redcurrants in a tomato soup that might be unusual.

Peas might work in a biscuit or a granola style bar and would make a lovely fruit leather type snack.

When I look at my garden I don't see food per se or recipes, I see a nice day out with a picnic. I love digging in the soil and furtiling for potatoes. Watching seedlings poke through the soil is like seeing a newborn baby to me, ahhhh. I relish the battle with the bugs every year as we each try to gain the upper hand while mother nature gives us both thick ears for insolence. I love my garden.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Mmmmm.... I like a clear differentiation between sweet and savoury so a lot of these wouldn’t work for me.
                    At the stage of planning a garden i sow stuff we like to eat but at the stage of planning a meal I eat what’s ready and good.

Comment

This sounds yummy, I have to try this

Originally posted by rary View Post
                      I like to add radish when making skirlie that's fried oatmeal and chopped onion, and adding chopped radish to the frying pan gives a bit zing to the dish

Comment

I add sour dried plums to biryani, its very nice just remember to take the stone out before serving!

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        I also think we don't make enough use of our naturally sour fruit, what about adding blackcurrants to a biriani
                        Last edited by chillithyme; 06-11-2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X