Random crops question!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random crops question!

When you walk around your garden/plot, do you see your crops as vegetables/fruit or do you see them as ingredients in a recipe?

As I wander I wonder whether I could combine some of the ingredients in a novel way - hitherto undreamt of by all the TV chefs!

How about stewing apples with lovage for celery flavoured apple sauce?

Would raspberries complement carrots? Would it be a savoury or a dessert?

Maybe cook apples in a soy sauce flavoured stirfry with leeks - or in a curry?

Have you tried any odd combinations that you can recommend?................and no, I haven't tried any of these concoctions.........yet.

Reminds me of a conversation with mum, when I was a nipper
    Mum was adamant she had absolutely no idea of what foods/flavours go with one another - until I pointed out that she’d never yet served us custard on roast beef, or icecream with pickled beetroot.....

Comment

I do see my fruit and veg as ingredients more than the finished product... and I tend to cook in a way that incorporates something sweet, something savoury and something sour. It's finding a balance, and I think most things go, in terms of ingedient combos.
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

When I look at harvested veg in the fridge, I always think what I can do with them, but that doesn't include any strange untried combinations though.
        Carrots in a sweet dish, or apples in a savoury one, are nothing new, though - if you've ever read old recipe books.
        When I had apple trees in my old garden I did used to put them in curries and grate them in coleslaw, still will if they've been in the fruit bowl a bit too long
        Apple and mint jelly is good, so apple and celery is certainly worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
          When I look at harvested veg in the fridge, I always think what I can do with them, but that doesn't include any strange untried combinations though.
          Carrots in a sweet dish, or apples in a savoury one, are nothing new, though - if you've ever read old recipe books.
          When I had apple trees in my old garden I did used to put them in curries and grate them in coleslaw, still will if they've been in the fruit bowl a bit too long
          Apple and mint jelly is good, so apple and celery is certainly worth a try.
          I often put apple or pineapple in curries, sometimes even raisins or sultanas.
          Shredded apple in bread stuffing for chicken or turkey and especially stuffed pork steak

Comment

I've made the red cabbage with apple and put fruit in coleslaw /Florida salad and sweet and sour type dishes, but......................when you don't have all the ingredients you have to improvise.

Comment

I see my plants as food, if I can't eat it I don't want to grow it I do love flowers too, for viewing not eating.

I need to have chillis with everything, including on my toast in the morning. If I don't eat chillies I don't feel like I've eaten properly.

Comment

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
                I need to have chillis with everything, including on my toast in the morning.
                Wow, that's a new one on me! Chilli on toast??
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Make a piece of toast, spread over whatever you fancy, add sliced chilli . Simple and yummy, can't wait for breakfast But you do have to like chillies!

Another one is apple and cheese cubes, when I see apples, I see cheese
                  Last edited by chillithyme; 24-10-2019, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Toast, marmalade or honey and chilli???

That's extreme randomness

Comment

Jam, Marmalade or Houmus, if you like chillis then it will make you feel warm and happy, especially in the cold winter months
                      Last edited by chillithyme; 24-10-2019, 10:23 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I don't like chilli and chocolate, thats just weird, or honey and chillies, I respect the bees too much

Comment

Grated cooked beetroot and apple salad with walnuts and walnut oil is good
                          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                            Grated cooked beetroot and apple salad with walnuts and walnut oil is good
                            Similar to what I was thinking Roitelet. Grated raw beetroot, apple and sultanas with either creme fraiche or sesame oil.
                            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
                              I see my plants as food, if I can't eat it I don't want to grow it I do love flowers too, for viewing not eating..
                              That's my view as well, Nasturtiums are nice to eat though, I don't think I eat any odd combinations or maybe they don't seem odd to me
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X