No announcement yet.

Parish Council letter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think legally you can be obliged to cut the whole lot back to level with the line of the boundary wall. If you don't do it, the council can do it and charge you for it.
    Last edited by Mitzi; 04-10-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Indeed mizi you're quite right, but think that's city rather than parish Council. It won't come to that anyway I'm planning on sorting it this weekend, especially if I can get an answer from parish council as to what exactly the complainant wishes pruning. Id rather not guess and take two weekend days sorting it out

Comment

Here's the Localgov list of parish council powers
        https://www.localgov.co.uk/Parish-co...bilities/29135

Notice highways, footpaths and the power to take legal proceedings.

They might not have the authority to cut them back but they do have the authority to initiate legal proceedings against you and take you to court - which may mean taking time off work, legal expenses and if the judgement goes in their favour the court could allow them to cut it back and charge you for it.

In addition should the wind get gusty tonight and one of those branches whips about and hurts somebody you are legal responsible for damages. How much does it cost if someone looses and eye? £44k-£50k plus loegal fees according to these solicitors

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Classic litigation type letter. We've told you, so if something happens you're liable. Cut the hedge back to inside the dyke. Prune any weak branches and I expect reduce height.

You'll be expected to put up barriers, so best borrow a few cones to rope if off or put up a sign asking pedestrians to use alternate pavement

Likely need a friend to keep peeps away

Comment

Cheers Jay for the link. 4 shoes if i need to get pedestrians to be careful whilst I prune do I also need to get council to shut one lane of the road? That's the A6, it took months for them to grant virgin rights to shut a lane to put fibre broadband in. Could be here until next summer!

Comment

I’m on a main road. I just prune on a Sunday morning when it’s quiet.

Comment

I am very confused. Wide enough space for scooters to drag, unless people don't like to walk on leaves anymore? I'd say someone has it out for you.
                https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

I think reaction to this will depend on you being a driver or pedestrian. I'm the latter and a sometimes wheelchair pusher, and it makes me cross when everyone's trees and hedges cover the pavement, especially when it means pushing the wheelchair into the road to pass. It must be the same for mums with double buggies.

Our parish council is campaigning to get all hedges cut back to the garden boundary, because so many are causing problems nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny14 View Post
                    Cheers Jay for the link. 4 shoes if i need to get pedestrians to be careful whilst I prune do I also need to get council to shut one lane of the road? That's the A6, it took months for them to grant virgin rights to shut a lane to put fibre broadband in. Could be here until next summer!
                    LOL I did have an idea it was going to be that sort of road. Sometimes you can't make it up. I'll need to make more effort next time

Had dealings with council getting services into buildings in the past. Takes months so know the feeling.
                    Last edited by 4Shoes; 05-10-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

A pavement is for two way use and at some point these users will meet. A pavement should be wide enough that this can happen without one person stepping into the road and is particularly important when one (or even two) of those people are in wheelchairs, mobility scooters or pushchairs.

Just saying.

Comment

A resident in our area is blind and autistic and the amount of times he has been injured by over hanging foliage and brambles is unbelievable.
                        His parents have had to explain how dangerous these are to their son.
                        A lot of time it is lack of thought on the householders part.
                        I think every effort should be made to keep all trees, shrubs etc on your property cut back to ensure safety to the public

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Those photos are useless without having someone there so the scale can be gauged.

Are there bramble or dog rose shoots on pavement side of wall? Looks like it.

Bramble you can lodge a complaint on behalf of your neighbour. Here it only takes a couple of minutes on council web site. I wouldn't contact householders at all as if they sound like selfish people who might take umbrage if you do complain to council. You might even get blamed for another's complaint!

I've successfully complained about a holly tree, which was 3/4 across path at chest and face height, and a dog rose at face height. I could see and avoid them but not everyone can. Unfortunately lot of people here never walk past their house, they just come out of drive in a car
                          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Cheers Danny no brambles or dog Rose etc, neither any berberis or any other thorned vegetation on roadside of wall. I'm very careful about that. This thread has made some interesting points and I've learnt quite a bit from other people's comments. I hope others have learnt things too.
                            I hope I can reassure people that I am getting the long ladders out this weekend and will be pruning everything which could possibly be a problem to anyone to well above head height to avoid any issues with high winds etc. I will also sweep up the first batch of pre leaf mould while I'm there. If it's dry I'll even get the shredder out for some decent wood chip.

Comment

We have a neighbour that parks on the pavement...now that really is something to complain about

Comment

I've cut my budleia back - three branches were about 6 inches over the pathway.

I'd like to thank this thread for the inspiration / motivation

sigpic
                                1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X