The Beechgrove Garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burnie View Post
    Since the loss of Geoff Hamilton, the tv gardening has been less of a must see for me....
    Don't forget Geoffrey Smith.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Because of its location and the lack of parking available, I don't think Beechgrove could host an open day as such. It's also remarkably compact so not that much room for folks to be able to wander about. I was lucky enough to enjoy a visit as part of a outing with the Scottish Branch of the National Vegetable Society a few years ago. Jim McColl gave us the tour himself which was good.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
        I wish I understood what I was missing. I'm really sorry, but I tried it on recommendations from on here and was really disappointed. The filming seemed poor, the presenters awkward
        Each to their own, but must say that I find Chris Beardshaw one of the best gardening presenters on television
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
          I have watched Gardening on tv since the days of black and white and only 2 channels to choose from
          I knew about black and white tv but only two channels to pick from, that must have been a long time ago you must be older than I thought
          As for Geoff Hamilton, I would recommend the garden that he set up at Barnsdale, when I visited that garden it was being maintained as he made it, and it was the most peaceful garden I have ever visited,whither it is still set up the same way I couldn't say
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
            Each to their own, but must say that I find Chris Beardshaw one of the best gardening presenters on television
            I too like Chris Beardshaw. He's more into the decorative stuff than productive growing, obviously. He knows how to "play the game" with his show gardens to win medals and stuff, but he also has a great knowledge of plants and an understanding both of how to grow them well and how to arrange them in three dimensions. And he doesn't irritate me the way all the regular GW presenters do with their over-the-top use of superlatives. Beechgrove is all the better for having Chris on board.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I like both programmes and have them both set on "record". I like Monty Don, I think he's down to earth and explains things well. I'm not keen on the amount of time they spend showing us arty farty gardens, although I do understand that many people do like that sort of thing.
              I've watched the Beechgrove Garden for a few years now and often try some of their recommendations. Never been disappointed. Cucumber Delistar and Dahlia Evaline spring to mind.
              Back in the late '70's or early '80's we had our own programme down here in South Wales called Get Gardening. I really enjoyed that, it was full of practical stuff, home gardening, not dwelling on parks and posh places. Still, each to their own.

Comment

I prefer Beechgrove Garden to Gardeners World. To me Beechgrove is for everyday people with ordinary gardens and for people who also like grow vegetables. They offer good and practical advice. Also good presenters.
                Gardeners World seems to have a no limit budget with instant results. Gardeners World was never the same after Geoff Hamilton.
                sigpic

Comment

Like Nvg I prefer beechgrove, and also like Monty Don as he doesn't put on any airs and graces, I actually put him on par with Geoff Hamilton, different style of presenting but down to earth with his presentation
                  Last edited by rary; 28-08-2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Beechgrove for me as I'm not keen on Monty, his advice isn't always reliable IMO and he does like to recommend very expensive plants, we aren't all made of money, after all.
                    I do quite like the way somebody digs his veg beds so he can come along and plant things in them, I wish I could follow that method lol.

Geoff Hamilton was most in touch with ordinary people, both garden and allotment, the best TV gardener - still sadly missed.

Comment

I watch both. Beechgrove is much closer to where I am so their issues and challenges in growing things are more similar to me than GW. I do have a wee soft spot for Monty though and find I get good ideas about developing the garden from GW.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                        Beechgrove for me as I'm not keen on Monty, his advice isn't always reliable IMO and he does like to recommend very expensive plants, we aren't all made of money, after all.
                        I do quite like the way somebody digs his veg beds so he can come along and plant things in them, I wish I could follow that method lol.

Geoff Hamilton was most in touch with ordinary people, both garden and allotment, the best TV gardener - still sadly missed.
                        yes I know what you mean about expensive plants, I will be in GCs twice sometime three times a week but never buy plants in them as they are far to expensive, as for presenters digging the garden Beechgrove presenters at times involve their team of gardeners in the program Carol Baxter started off as a backroom gardener in the original Beechgrove, as for the gardening advice both BG. and GW give advice but any advice that is given it is always subject to your own weather conditions, so I just take it as a guide

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                          as for presenters digging the garden Beechgrove presenters at times involve their team of gardeners in the program Carol Baxter started off as a backroom gardener in the original Beechgrove
                          Fair enough, but you are aware of them working in the background at BG and often mentioned - you never hear Monty mentioning his, IMO the show gives the impression that he does it all himself.

Comment

Monty actually has only two people working for him - a retired salesman who wanted a change of direction and a young chap learning the ropes before going to college.

Comment

I doesn't matter to me who they are, only the fact that they're employees .

He said in an interview "I have a couple of guys who work in the garden. Wherever I am I text or call them to discuss what’s to be done, then I see them before recording. So a lot of gardening goes on by remote control." but as far as I've seen, he has never mentioned them on the programme.
                              Might it spoil the image, to tell people that someone else does some of the hard graft there?

Cynical? Moi? - Never!
                              Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 29-08-2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Was watching the BG and GW this morning and Beechgrove seems more relaxed, though I did like the bit in GW. about savings seeds, as from now on I will not be buying F1 seeds
                                Last edited by rary; 01-09-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X