Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating vegan from your own back yard. Anyone got any good recipes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bohobumble View Post
    I make vegan ales from extract kits, I condition the beer by chilling in the bottles rather than using finings, my favourite so far has been to a 'Proper Job' recipe which works out at about 74p a pint.

I'm currently using another kit to make a summer style ale and works out at about 45p a pint

You've just ruined my next £4ish pint.

Comment

I'll pm a link to the kit I use, maybe that'll make you feel better!

Comment

Originally posted by TheChemist View Post
        Marmite is vegan
        Many wines and ales are vegan
        Dark chocolate is often vegan (Green and Blacks is!)
        There is a dark choc in m&s that is lovely, I think its about 75p thats the only nice vegan choc I have found so far x
        If you want to view paradise
        Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Originally posted by daviddevantnhisspiritwife View Post
          My OH is a veggie and as a side effect I eat a lot more veggie than meat (path of least resistance). This does include quite a bit of vegan fayre.
          Likewise! I'd say 5 out of 7 meals are vegetarian, and I do most of the cooking. He's part Italian, so that also influences our cooking.

I make our own pasta (you don't have to use eggs, most Italian pasta (so I'm told) is flour and water, sometimes with vegetable puree to add colour and flavour. It's easy and either freezes or dries well. Plus piadina, which again are quick and easy dry-fried flatbreads - flour, oil, salt, water and bicarb. It's usually made with lard, but the oil makes for a smoother, less flaky piadina.

We have the piadina and pasta with garlicky greens quite often. One green that isn't grown here much but OH adores is leaf chicory (chicoria). It is VERY bitter and needs boiling for about 10 mins to get some of that out, but it is fab mixed with chard, spinach and herbs and then used to fill the piadina, perhaps with some smoked tofu.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I buy supermarket own brand yeast extract (it is not even labelled vegetarian, let alone vegan, but I can live with that) or, Vegemite - I tend not to get actual Marmite (don't really like it). I have a big pile of G&B Dark Chilli Chocolate but alas that too is not Vegan (But, I appreciate they do offer Vegan varieties).

Those pasta dishes sound really nice. Is it possible to make decent wholewheat pasta that way?
            While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

I really don't know. I've never tried, I can't see why not.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

The Italians must have done so back in the day - refined white flour would have been more expensive and pasta is supposed to be peasant food no?

I guess if you can source some 00 wholewheat flour give it a go. And let us know!

Comment

See this website
                  Homemade Vegan Pasta | Minimalist Baker Recipes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X