Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating vegan from your own back yard. Anyone got any good recipes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***** and chips for me ) ha ha
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 13-02-2015, 08:51 PM. Reason: Not funny at all.

Comment

Originally posted by plotman View Post
      ***** and chips for me ) ha ha
      just kidding )

Comment

Its offensive to post comments like that on a thread about Vegan food. No more please.

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
          protein is very important.
          Realseeds sell grain amaranth.
          It's very easy to grow and self seeding...you cook the teeny tiny grains with rice (in the same pot) and they impart a nice nutty flavour and provide protein.

And you'll need nuts.
          Hazlenuts are good to grow, the wood being good for bean sticks and wigwams....the nuts delicious fresh and dried.
          If a vegetarian is eating a variety of vegetables including pulses and grains (presume this is the case on this site!) and a few kinds of nuts then we can safely presume they are getting more than enough protein in their diet.

The issue is more your B vitamins (marmite, soy products etc), omega 3, 6, and 9 oils (try hemp oil) and vitamin D (sunlight, soy milk, fortified cereals) so consider where these are coming from in your diet.

This is a good resource to check what you need to plan for following a vegan diet:
          https://www.vegsoc.org/health
          Last edited by Bohobumble; 13-02-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Carrot cake with orange & lemon icing drizzled on top mmm! I like making pizzas with tomatoes,peppers & basil leaves & salad with freshly picked rocket,basil & tomatoes with a green pesto dressing,great with pasta twirls....then more carrot cake

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
              Carrot cake with orange & lemon icing drizzled on top mmm! I like making pizzas with tomatoes,peppers & basil leaves & salad with freshly picked rocket,basil & tomatoes with a green pesto dressing,great with pasta twirls....then more carrot cake
              How do you make your carrot cake without eggs to be vegan?

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                How do you make your carrot cake without eggs to be vegan?
                I don't,I'm vegetarian so I use egg,but I know that a vegan diet can include cake!! Couldn't imagine a life without There are egg substitutes;pureed banana,applesauce,soy yoghurt,veg oil,flaxseed combined with water,soy flour mixed with water,something that will bind the mixture. Try & test....

Comment

Soups are so easy, freeze well and you can chuck in whatever you want.

Some of our favourites:

-Curried Roots (any). Fry an onion, garlic and a tbsp curry powder in olive oil. Chuck in about 500g cubed root veg (any - parsnips are lovely, but a combination of potatoes, swede, carrots, parsnips does fine - squashes work too), a veg stock cube or two, enough boiling water to cover and salt and pepper. Simmer until soft, then blend.

-Leek and potato: Garlic, leek, potato, herbs, stock and a glut of dairy free milk.

-Carrot and coriander

-Sweetcorn chowder (plenty of recipes online)

Falafels can be made with broad beans (I believe that's how they do it in Egypt, as opposed to the traditional use of chickpea in Israel etc). Not only delicious, but perfect to pair with homegrown salad and homemade chilli sauce.

Ratatouille: Onion, garlic, tomatoes, courgette, aubergine, peppers, lots of fresh herbs. Serve with crusty bread or rice.

Sweet potatoes and sweetcorn can make a lovely burger.

I'd really recommend Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall's(sp?) River Cottage Veg. Most recipes are vegan/can be veganised and it's a beautiful book which focuses on fresh produce. Do post any creations that turn out well

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post
                    Is anyone on here Vegan?

I've been vegetarian for a while now and over the past 6-8 weeks I have been more vegan but I still struggle with the odd bite of chocolate and some family meal ideas.
                    Lately I have been eating so much veg that can be grown in my own back yard and that I already have seeds for I am looking forward to saving so much money growing them next year.
                    I was wondering if anyone has any good recipes? Ive trawled through the web and took all the ones I think I might like but with me being a picky so n so I'm on the hunt for more, and I thought where would be better than a place that people grow their own

Thanks guys x
                    Or a squash and kale curry? one onion, garlic and ginger, cumin, heaped tbsp curry powder, small squash, handful of kale, tin of coconut milk. Simmer on high for 4 hours in slow cooker (or simmer on hob for about 30-40 mins)

Comment

There is this stuff called egg re-placer, you can get it off ebay. I haven't used it but its meant to be good
                      If you want to view paradise
                      Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Don't worry about offending guys (if its me you think you may be offending) I've got very thick skin. People are vegan for different reasons. My fella still eats meat and eggs etc, I just cant any more the thought of it... I think I have put myself right off it. People are offended by to much these days.

Everyone is different....

I am looking forward to trying the Hampton creek mayo apparently it tastes just like Hellmans. It was meant to be in Tesco's in feb but they emailed me saying it will be the end of march early April. I do wish they would hurry up!

I found some brilliant recipes and have created a fb page with a few of them on if anyone is on fb and wants to join or add their own its.
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Very-...1654005?ref=hl
                        If you want to view paradise
                        Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post

I am looking forward to trying the Hampton creek mayo apparently it tastes just like Hellmans. It was meant to be in Tesco's in feb but they emailed me saying it will be the end of march early April. I do wish they would hurry up!
                          Whilst you're waiting to buy it, why not make some yourself? 3 recipes for homemade vegan mayonnaise

Edit - Hugh's Veg book is great, my OH has it and I use it quite a lot
                          Last edited by Bohobumble; 16-03-2015, 05:26 PM. Reason: Huge furry whipping all reference

Comment

Tonight we are having this (my favourite comfort food)

Tarka dhal easy curry recipe | Anjum Anand recipes - Red Online

Drop the butter and it is vegan. Plan ahead: You can use your home grown Tomatoes, Garlic, Chillis, Onions and Coriander and it will taste even better.

My OH is a veggie and as a side effect I eat a lot more veggie than meat (path of least resistance). This does include quite a bit of vegan fayre. Personally, I did look into eating 100% vegan myself recently as I thought I'd be able to do it; but:- Wine uses finings that are Crustacean derived, ale also does. I could not do without Parmesan. I am partial to a bit of rare venison on occassion and I am known to eat dark chocolate and I like yeast extract on my toast and poached eggs. My son sometimes has a small bag of Haribo and you can't say no can you? On that basis I am sure I'd be cast out of the vegan society.

Having said that, I salute your endevour.
                            Last edited by daviddevantnhisspiritwife; 20-03-2015, 08:32 PM. Reason: Spelling as always.
                            While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by daviddevantnhisspiritwife View Post
                              Tonight we are having this (my favourite comfort food)

Tarka dhal easy curry recipe | Anjum Anand recipes - Red Online

Drop the butter and it is vegan. Plan ahead: You can use your home grown Tomatoes, Garlic, Chillis, Onions and Coriander and it will taste even better.

My OH is a veggie and as a side effect I eat a lot more veggie than meat (path of least resistance). This does include quite a bit of vegan fayre. Personally, I did look into eating 100% vegan myself recently as I thought I'd be able to do it; but:- Wine uses finings that are Crustacean derived, ale also does. I could not do without Parmesan. I am partial to a bit of rare venison on occassion and I am known to eat dark chocolate and I like yeast extract on my toast and poached eggs. My son sometimes has a small bag of Haribo and you can't say no can you? On that basis I am sure I'd be cast out of the vegan society.

Having said that, I salute your endevour.
                              Marmite is vegan
                              Many wines and ales are vegan
                              Dark chocolate is often vegan (Green and Blacks is!)

So you're probably not eating as many animal products as you believe

For anyone interested:

Barnivore: your vegan wine, beer, and liquor guide

List of beers, wines and alcohols and whether they contain animal products.

I'm not vegan, but I don't eat meat or dairy - just eggs from my chooks. And I'm afraid my usual pint (Rebellion, local brewery) isn't veggie. Nor is, I see, my favourite guest ale on at my local. However, many are. Fear not, vegan ale lovers!
                              Last edited by TheChemist; 20-03-2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I make vegan ales from extract kits, I condition the beer by chilling in the bottles rather than using finings, my favourite so far has been to a 'Proper Job' recipe which works out at about 74p a pint.

I'm currently using another kit to make a summer style ale and works out at about 45p a pint

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X