No announcement yet.

Seedless raspberry jam

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And because I'm not holding the thermometer or stirring, I have both hands free to wipe the steam off me specs
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks MH. My pan is quite large and I've been worried about losing the thermometer in the jam pan. Maybe I'll tie a string on the handle so I can hoick it out if it falls in.
      Oh - and I must stop stirring

Comment

If you have a long handled wooden spoon, you could suspend it from that laid across the top of the pan. Or a clean garden cane for that matter.

eta: I've never "lost" my thermometer in a pan of fudge, it seems to stay where it's put and not move. It didn't move when I made the jam today either, but as it's the first time I've used it with jam I couldn't swear it wouldn't move another time.
        Last edited by mothhawk; 21-09-2014, 03:01 PM.
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Made some raspberry and apple jam yesterday with some wild apples from the hedgerow that looked and smelled very like golden delicious, but small, and with just that hint of crab apple dryness. What a joy to use the thermometer - perfect set, and the colour! It glows a brilliant jewelled red.

The flavour is to die for, and anyone who asks for a jar will have to show a willingness to do just that before I consider letting my treasure go.
          Attached Files
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
            Made some raspberry and apple jam yesterday with some wild apples from the hedgerow that looked and smelled very like golden delicious, but small, and with just that hint of crab apple dryness. What a joy to use the thermometer - perfect set, and the colour! It glows a brilliant jewelled red.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50074[/ATTACH]...[ATTACH=CONFIG]50075[/ATTACH]

The flavour is to die for, and anyone who asks for a jar will have to show a willingness to do just that before I consider letting my treasure go.
            I'm more worried that somebody has stolen the contents of your fridge - can hardly get in mine for all the courgettes, beans, tomatoes, chillies and half eaten jars of chutney and jam

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Look what I've just seen Thermospatula in thermometers at Lakeland Could it be an answer?
              Anyone tried one?
              Originally posted by alldigging View Post
              Not at 15 squids it isn't!
              Mine is one of these
              NEW Digital Thermometer Kitchen ProbeTemperature Cooking BBQ Meat Jam Candy Wine | eBay

And has to be held in to measure the temp.
              Thanks to the inspiration of this thread, I have made my own "thermospatula" for about £2.75
              Buy a Kitchen probe as recommended by alldigging - I paid £2.35, delivered in 2 days. Poke it through the handle of the spoon in this set of kitchen utensils AKUT 3-piece kitchen utensil set - IKEA

Et Voila
              Attached Files

Comment

You're a genius VC!

Comment

Nope - a tightwad

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50074[/ATTACH]...[ATTACH=CONFIG]50075[/ATTACH]

Is that a butter puff biscuit I see nestling beneath your rasp n apple jam, Mothhawk? How sublime.
                    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I've now got 960g + 440g of raspberries in the freezer... I was thinking about wine but now ...
                      oh dear. I have more jars too.

Comment

I feel so old fashioned, still do the plate test when I'm making jam. Tempted to make a VC spoon now.
                        My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ananke View Post
                          Tempted to make a VC spoon now.
                          Sounds like a greasy spoon, Ananke
                          I do the plate test and the flake test. Not used the VC spoon yet but its accurate with boiling water.

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
                            Is that a butter puff biscuit I see nestling beneath your rasp n apple jam, Mothhawk? How sublime.
                            Yep!
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              I'm more worried that somebody has stolen the contents of your fridge - can hardly get in mine for all the courgettes, beans, tomatoes, chillies and half eaten jars of chutney and jam
                              Ha, ha! the first pic I took also included two half jars of chutney (damson, and green tomato), a jar of mayo, a pot of ricotta, half a jar of bramble jelly, a piece of Parmesan and a wedge of double Gloucester, but I thought it looked a mite cluttered so I cleared the shelf special like.
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

And you can just see the edge of a jar of M&S fair trade strawberry jam I was given at Christmas last year. Not a patch on H/M which is why it's still there. Why do people always give jam as gifts to folk who make their own, I wonder?
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X