Mashed potato - what do u add 2 urs?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
    Potato, butter (got to be Lurpak full fat etc.) and a good quality creme fraiche ..... mmmmm

And we love our mash with some good quality sausages baked in the oven (I was brought up on baked sausages, none of the fried stuff in our family!)
    I'm totally with you there Jennie. Sausage and mash... Mmmmm. Altho I usually use 'top of the milk' cream, with just a twist or 2 of black pepper.
    And I much prefer beef sausages to pork, with a good rich gravy...

The kids love that old favourite 'pink mash' - Tommy sauce mixed in!
    Last edited by SarzWix; 07-06-2007, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Simply butter and scallions,(topped with grilled grated cheese ocassionally)
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Butter. Nothing else; I hate it when OH adds milk. I like my mash to be firm not soft and runny. She has to mash with butter and take my serving out because she loves hers creamed.

Phil
        Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Good thread mrsc2b - we all love our mash, don't we? I love it as nature intended (i.e. lots of real butter!). I also like it with natural yoghurt, lots of pepper and a sprinkle of cheese.
          Another way I love it is with a tablespoon of pesto mashed in - either the green or the red, with added toms.
          I like the sound of Alice's scrumptious souffle spud too.
          If you bake a potato, half, scoop out the middle and mash that with any chosen ingredients, shove it back in the shell and bake again for a few minuts, you really taste the difference - the skins must add some flavour.

In fact I love mash whatever you do with it!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Tarragon.... butter of course- lots, and a little milk or even cream!!
            Last edited by Headfry; 08-06-2007, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Good dollop of wholegrain mustard works well in mash when eaten with suasages and onion gravy, yum yum.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I love mash - its my favourite "comfort food" having said that to make it with double cream is even better - to add some smoked haddock - yum yum yum yum..........! Bernie
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

wow u r all making me very hungry, some good ideas, got to give them all a try. apart from sounding thick here lol, what is celeriac, never tried it, let alone grown it?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsc2b View Post
                    wow u r all making me very hungry, some good ideas, got to give them all a try. apart from sounding thick here lol, what is celeriac, never tried it, let alone grown it?
                    Turnip rooted celery!

Easier to grow than celery and forms a root like a.............guess? Usually grated and has a nice celery taste!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just like mine dry mash ie cook up boiled pots and then crush them with a masher. I know it's not what most people like but I don't like butter with pots as I find it a bit slimy, don't really like fat with my food which I suppose is good for the figure! Mind you, do really like mash with a good bit of onion gravy.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

We have ours dry mashed and add gravey

Comment

Ok, so I bought the celariac seed packet - now the q's - where do I put it in the rotation? Is it more like turnip (brassica) or celery (er..can't remember where...?)

Comment

You've hit the nail on the head, gravy! I do my mash with a good splash of milk (but not sloppy) and a knob of butter. Just enough so it's not dry but not really creamy, which is nice but not good for you! Sometimes I add garlic, but the best is mash with cold roast pork and rich pork gravy. Ok I'm dribbling now...

Comment

I never peel the spuds (need those vitamins) and because I am always watching calories I never add butter just Dijon (wholegrain sticks in my teeth)

However, when convalescing I have it with grated cheese and baked beans - with more grated cheese on the top for luck
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                                Ok, so I bought the celariac seed packet - now the q's - where do I put it in the rotation? Is it more like turnip (brassica) or celery (er..can't remember where...?)
                                I would try and get some plants from a garden centre if i was you Hazel, bit late for seed this year methinks.
                                I use a four year rotation,legumes,brassicas,roots and tatties. I would put it in with the roots!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X