1 head Bok Choy, white separated from green
    2 big cloves garlic grated or minced fine
    2 cups red bell pepper cut into match sticks
    8 oz. sliced mushrooms
    2 large green onions cut thin, both parts
    ½ cup carrots chopped like peppers
    1 1X1 inch fresh ginger grated
    1 tablespoon unrefined sesame oil
    2 tablespoon soy sauce (tamari for gluten free)
    ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
    1 lime
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro
    Teaspoon honey (optional)

1. Cut white part of bok choy in long strips 2 X 1 inch and set aside. Greens can be chopped in large pieces.
    2. Heat oil in medium high pan. Ad peppers and carrots and stir fry for 3-5 minutes.
    3. Add mushrooms, whites of bok choy , onions and stir fry another 2-3 minutes stirring often.
    4. Add ginger and garlic, for 1 minute, add soy, cayenne, lime, honey and chicken broth.
    5. Add greens of bok choy and cilantro and combine. Heat for another minute or two until greens wilt slightly.

Can Add Cooked Chicken or Shrimp and serve over rice/noodles.

Last edited by bearded bloke; 16-06-2014, 08:52 PM.
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Just Like Loaded Baked Potatoes/Cauliflower (Low Carb)

Mmmmm, this looks amazing!!

Servings: 3

2 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower (I use frozen, cooked until tender, in the microwave)
      1 cup sour cream (low fat works here, too)
      3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (full-fat works best)
      3 green onions, finely chopped
      salt and pepper
      Directions:

1 Pre-heat oven to 350.
      2 Chop cooked cauliflower into very small pieces.
      3 Mix sour cream, 1/2 of the green onions, 1/2 of the cheese and salt and pepper to taste in medium bowl.
      4 Stir in the cauliflower.
      5 Place in medium baking dish and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
      6 Bake for 20 minutes.
      7 Sprinkle the remaining green onions on top just before serving.
      Last edited by bearded bloke; 16-06-2014, 09:01 PM.
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

As veggie chicken said- quorn is better than soya. The quorn sausages are the best and you can do many things with them. Minced up with a marmite gravy makes a lovely mince that's ready for mash on top. Potatoes are very versatile and go well with cheese which we all know goes with everything. Avocados are underrated and are lovely with pasta and cream . A personal favourite are red lentils which go well with tomatoes, peanuts and carrot. And for a filling carb fest make pasties. Lots you can stuff in a pasty!
        Sanity is for those with no grasp of reality

Comment

Have a look at this book. It's the vegetarian book I fall back to all the time. So many recipes that are so good you won't miss meat at all. It's proper cooking, no short cuts! I think the last thing to do is to look for austerity recipes������ I think you should aim for super good food!http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mediterranea...ranean+harvest

Comment

We're are all meat eaters but all 4 of us prefer veg lasagna and veg moussaka to the meat based ones, much tastier.

How about a caramelised onion, leek and goat's cheese tart, it's scrummy.

Good luck
            My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Some very good ideas here.
              The only contrbution I will make is to choose meals that aren't set out like traditional English food.
              Meat on one side of the plate, potatoes next, then the veggies.
              With that in your mind, it is very difficult to accept no meat.
              Whereas all the choices you have been given above, you really won't notice there is no meat included.
              I met my wife 14 years ago and haven't had meat at home since then.
              Occasionally I will eat meat when we go out but normally not.
              Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Well I have started the veggie month trial, after being offered so many great suggestions and recipes I had....Stuffed peppers. Was very nice but a little bland....I will learn albeit slowly

Comment

Good luck Greenleaves, I couldn't imagine life without gravy let alone meat.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

If I gave my kids stuffed peppers for tea they would leave home!....hmmm
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 17-06-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      If I gave my kids stuffed peppers for tea they would leave home!....hmmm
                      Stuffed peppers are lovely but I suppose if they've not been used to that sort of food then kids can be very awkward about things, think you have to start them young. Very young

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Stuffed peppers are lovely but I suppose if they've not been used to that sort of food then kids can be very awkward about things, think you have to start them young. Very young
                        Actually they will eat most foods except highly spiced foods, they are not fussy eaters but I find most vegetarian meals lacking in protein and flavour unless it's been spiced up from the Asian spice rack or loaded with cheese. I think I must (subconsciously) serve traditional British food, meat and two veg or salad as Rocketron has mentioned.
                        I have several vegetarian friends that we enjoy meals with and the kids are always starving after they've licked their plate clean. Though they now serve more fulling meals using beans or pulses, that keep them going for longer...

One of my fond memories was of one of my boys deciding which oysters he wanted to buy at a market while on holiday in France. He had been doing "French" lessons at primary school so we encouraged him to ask for what he wanted himself. He ended up pointing and they laughingly offered him a raw oyster to try, he duly squirted his lemon on and then ate it. The lady selling came around and gave him a kiss!

Comment

Hi,

Newbie here, and I'm sure I'm supposed to post a "hello" post first, but saw this thread and couldn't wait to jump in.

I've been veggie for a long time, and I'd suggest you look at Indian food - not just various mixed veg curries, but also dals, and try making your own nans? It's worth going to an Asian grocers if you have one near by, so that you can get the proper spices to roast, and a big helping of fresh coriander on top adds to everything.

Also, have you tried Imam Bayildi? V. filling and rich, almost too much so for a time served veggie, but probably ideal for an omnivore who is just forgoing meat for a little while. (Veggies get sensitive to mega rich meals, I find, as we eat lighter food generally)

Finally, in direct contradiction of what I've just said about us eating lighter meals.... halloumi is your friend! Get a pitta bread, fill with a well dressed salad, griddle some thin halloumi slices, drizzle the slices in chilli oil, stuff into the pitta. A dish that meets every Friday night post-pub craving

Good luck with your challenge!

Comment

One of my favourite vegetarian recipes is a fritatta with spinach and peas

Comment

Originally posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
                              Hi,

Newbie here, and I'm sure I'm supposed to post a "hello" post first, but saw this thread and couldn't wait to jump in.

I've been veggie for a long time, and I'd suggest you look at Indian food - not just various mixed veg curries, but also dals, and try making your own nans? It's worth going to an Asian grocers if you have one near by, so that you can get the proper spices to roast, and a big helping of fresh coriander on top adds to everything.

Also, have you tried Imam Bayildi? V. filling and rich, almost too much so for a time served veggie, but probably ideal for an omnivore who is just forgoing meat for a little while. (Veggies get sensitive to mega rich meals, I find, as we eat lighter food generally)

Finally, in direct contradiction of what I've just said about us eating lighter meals.... halloumi is your friend! Get a pitta bread, fill with a well dressed salad, griddle some thin halloumi slices, drizzle the slices in chilli oil, stuff into the pitta. A dish that meets every Friday night post-pub craving

Good luck with your challenge!
                              Thank you Penny

Comment

How have you done so far greenleaves? C'mon show us your food diary!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X