Glut of cucumbers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glut of cucumbers

I have 2 superbel plants and they've been great for me. Must be beginners luck. I've been giving them away but I understand now when people talk about 'that face' you see when you approach people with your stuff
    So any suggestions on what you would do with a glut? Can they be preserved in any way?
    Thanks a lot

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...kle_38650.html

All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks a million TS

Comment

all my cucumbers failed this year so please feel free to send your surplus my way .... i'll even smile!
        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Sweet cucumber pickle is really good - OH will be very upset if I don't have enough to make any this year as we've run out . Two years ago I had stupid numbers and tried all sorts of things, the pickle was the nicest but I also had a lovely side dish to serve with spicy food (not freezable unfortunately). The worst thing was cucumber jam, thought it would be nice as a semi sweet / savoury relish, it wasn't and was down right horrible and just tasted of the lemon juice that was added.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Alison, will definately give it a go.

Comment

My lot love ....

Sweet Pickle Relish

2 Large Cucumbers
              2 Medium Onions
              1 Red Pepper
              1 Green Pepper
              50g Salt
              500ml Cider Vinegar
              1tbsp Celery Seeds
              1tbsp Black Mustard Seeds
              490g Sugar

De-seed cucumber
              Chop all veg and put into a glass bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Leave for 2hrs and strain out the water.

Combine vinegar, sugar and seeds in a pot and bring to the boil.
              Add the veg and bring back to the boil and simmer for 10 mins.

Transfer the veg to sterilised jars, when jar is full top up with with some of the vinegar so that the veg is submereged.

Store for at least 10 days, until matured.

This is the original recipe that I got from someone else and I found there was too much vinegar but next time I made it I cut the vinegar down and it wasn't enough so I went back to the original, you might want to tweak it to suit yourself.
              My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks a lot Ananke!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X