Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started a starter about 10 days ago that appeared to have got going quite well. Then on day 7 it stopped working, separated into layers and didn't want to start again. So I started again this morning.
    Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
      I started a starter about 10 days ago that appeared to have got going quite well. Then on day 7 it stopped working, separated into layers and didn't want to start again. So I started again this morning.
      You might have tried mixing the layers and feeding it again to get it going. As long as there was no 'mould' etc. Ours goes like that in the fridge after not being feed for a while.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

You might have tried mixing the layers and feeding it again to get it going. As long as there was no 'mould' etc. Ours goes like that in the fridge after not being feed for a while.
        I had tried stirring it up and feeding it. Unfortunately, I later detected some mould near the rim of the jam jar, so assume that the main body was infected as well.

Comment

• Starter is merrily frothing away at the moment. At midday, when I fed it, I didn't put the leavings in the compost caddy. I split it into two jam jars and fed both. I think I'll have a go at making some bread tomorrow

Comment

• Mark let us know how you got on with your loaf.

I made sourdough piklets this morning with some discards.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Just come out of the oven. Won't know what it tastes like until later:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240425_221907.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	705.1 KB
ID:	2578221

Comment

• It's now later.
                Texture is excellent. Taste is not awe inspiring. Might need to see if it develops over the weeks. Might add a little more salt. Will stop feeding orange juice to the starter.This was made with Aldi's strong flour. Might add 50% rye flour to the next one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240425_234030.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	680.2 KB
ID:	2578223

Comment

• A good looking loaf Mark.
                  I've used both Aldi's strong white and their wholemeal flour, as well as Co-op's own brand with excellent results, its handy to pick up while your in there shopping. My favourite flour is from the local corn merchants although at 3 times the price I don't buy it that often.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Second attempt today. Started a sponge going with half the flour and a couple of teaspoons of sugar lat night in the airing cupboard. Mixed in the rest of the this morning and stretched it every 30mins-hour until lunch time. then gave it another workout and put it in the loaf tray. proofed it in the oven at about 30-35°C until 3pm. Then put it in the oven with the leg of lamb at 4pm. Might need to proof it longer and get/make a larger loaf tin, it's still pretty dense. very soft/springy/moist though. I liked it, SWMBO says she preferred the first one, which was quite bitter. This one was 50/50 wholemeal/white whereas the first was all while flour. That might have been the difference. We'll see how the starter matures.
                    I slashed the top, but it was either not deep enough or the top was too wet (had cling film over it while proving) so it ended up splitting at a corner, not where I'd cut it.

PS, I must spend a day finding the kitchen again this week. The worktops have disappeared...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240428_173820.jpg Views:	1 Size:	948.5 KB ID:	2578344
                    Last edited by Mark Rand; 28-04-2024, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X