This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WeeGarden View Post
    I started my first ever sourdough starter back in September 2011, baked with it once, and forgot about it in the fridge until I just came across this thread.

Erm... do you think it can be saved?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28232[/ATTACH]

It has a layer of mould on the top too...
    I personally would throw it away and start again - it doesn't look too healthy to me!
    In a week you would have a new one up and running and wouldn't run the risk of becoming ill
    Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

• Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
      I did have a fall at the last hurdle. I didn't have a basket, so I followed the advice of lining a bowl with a well floured teatowel. However, although it rose well, the dough stuck to some bits of the cloth, so I had to scrape it off. It spoilt the shape, and probably has meant I lost some of the bubbles. I also forgot to slash the crust
      the proofing basket / bowl is particularly useful if you have a higher hydration dough (more water) - but you can shape into a good tight boule and just leave it to rise if you want - cover with lightly oiled clingfilm or i use a big bowl - emphasis is to keep the dough from forming a thick skin as this means it won't rise as well (also the reason for the slashes)

cheers
      S

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadRipple View Post
        i spend happy hours on BakeryBits - Artisan Bread Baking Equipment wishing i could justify the cost of a real proving basket...
        one more poss helpful thought - i couldn't be bothered with adding steam at first but now i do, and crusts aren't as rock-hard, so I recommend...
        If you want a few baskets, or if there are a few people close by who could share, I recommend:
        Bannetons & Dough Rising Baskets from Wood Pulp & Cane - Main page

You send the order, then they advise you of the price (P&P) via email, then you confirm - mine was a bit slow on the advising of price, but delivery was quick

And yes re steam - either cover, or dutch oven, or steam - lots of methods, have a look at the BEST forum for bread (just a member, no other interest)

The Fresh Loaf | News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

They have a forum for sourdough, one for artisan bread, there are loads of experts, and almost any question has been answered!! Also a very friendly site - strongly recommend

S

Comment

• Originally posted by BroadRipple View Post
          hello me lovelies - have been flat out and not had time to go on here for a while but just wanted to say that i'm so glad this is still going. how are you all doing? i'm still making it, and it tastes great but i'm finding it difficult to get it into the oven (on to my big quarry tile which am VERY proud of) without it sinking, so it's generally flattish...damn. but recent research suggests that i've been overproving, which i think is easily done with sourdough, so am going to try one long prove, shaping, one short prove and then baking. anyone got any tips?
          Are you doing the final prove (after shaping) in a basket or bowl? If so, when you are ready to get it into the oven, put a sheet of baking parchment (not greaseproof paper) over the top, then a tray over that (upside down so it is flat next to the bread). Turn it upside down i.e. the loaf is the right way up, and take the basket / bowl off. You should now be able to slash as wanted, and then use teh baking parchment to slide the loaf (still on the parchment) onto the stone from the tray...

HTH

Comment

• Originally posted by WeeGarden View Post
            Thank you. His name is Scary Wilbert.

I'm hoping that an expert will come along and say, "yeah...just scrape off the crud and the creamy stuff underneath is ok".
            Love the name!
            It's possible you can recover him
            Don't think about scraping off - think about getting about a teaspoon of the middle of it out, as clean as you can, and put it in a new jar. Add 80g water and 80g strong bread flour, stir really well, then see what happens - if you get any bubbles after about 12-24 hours, you might be oK!

Comment

• I've not posted on here for ages so thought upload the loaf I made last night using my favourite slash method.

Hope I've not jinked my starter because I've finally moved it on to a new container the glass one I'd used from the start was getting a fair bit of dry build up around the lip.
              Attached Files
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Thought if anyone's around Southampton tomorrow night, this might be useful:
                https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/285449044881033/

I'm going......!! (I need all the help I can get!! )

Comment

• Oooh Thea - ask them why mine goes flat and hard - not nicely risen like Bren's! My teeth just aren't up to eating it. I let it prove for hours and hours but it still doesn't rise well. No large holes in it either.
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

• I'd go as well if it was closer.

Comment

• Oh bluddy hell, I think I'm going to be hooked

I'm planning now on getting my starter started tomorrow after I get the organic flour.
                      And just for fun if it's goes great guns I'm going to call it the Local Feral007 Starter and see if we can get some local interest in it! Should be fun sharing it around.

Now - will I ever be brave enough, and organised enough to make the bread from it! That's the question. I really want to make some walnut sourdough bread tho.
                      Last edited by Feral007; 30-06-2012, 12:17 AM.
                      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• Good luck Feral
                        I made my starter using a mix of wholegrain spelt flour and strong bread flour that seemed to work out well.

Comment

• Well I'm back reading here after a week away from this thread.
                          I started my starter - using dried cherries in the mix. It's pretty chilly here so I'm not expecting much. And of course, after carefully reading the starter recipe I was going to use, I ended up making a mistake with it. Being me, I just decided it would make a good excuse if it didn't work and carried on!

I seem to have bubbles on the top when I look, but I don't see any bubbles rising. So would these bubbles be akin the Silent but deadly farts? Never seen or heard, but still doing the job?

I'm about to start the throwing out and adding phase today. Seems mean to throw it out, but since it will be going onto the compost heap I've great hopes for what it does there as well!

Not looking forward to the baking tho. Terribly unorganised around here, so I can see me having to do the 'Barleysugar Take it Easy' method quite often! And I'm away for 4 days so the starter will be in the hands of the teens
                          Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

• Feral I'm sure your starter is doing fine, I made scones and pancakes with my discards here's a couple of recipes :-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post954725 scones

and

Wholemeal drop scones recipe - Channel4 - 4Food

Comment

• I think I'm just happy to see some bubbles on my starter. Will I get banned if I never make bread/scones/sponge?

Couldn't I just be a sourdough starter person?
                              Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                                I think I'm just happy to see some bubbles on my starter. Will I get banned if I never make bread/scones/sponge?

Couldn't I just be a sourdough starter person?
                                hahaha nope you 'have' to bake with it in the end have to say though I think of my starter like some sort of pet that needs looking after.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X