This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
    I thought it sounded a bit laborious too - I mean - 7 to 10 days before you can even start to make bread? What!?
    When I bake my rolls I use fresh yeast and can have them on the table within 4 or 5 hours of starting. so sourdough sounded a right ordeal at first but once you've got your starter made its easy isn't it
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
      I have been bad - I have left my sponge to its own devices since last night when I made it - so I hope it is still happy. I shall make the bread tonight and leave it to prove overnight.
      I'm sure it will be fine Jeanie and don't forget to take a photo before you eat it all

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
        I have been bad - I have left my sponge to its own devices since last night when I made it - so I hope it is still happy. I shall make the bread tonight and leave it to prove overnight.
        I hope it's still in the bowl and not taking over the airing cupboard!
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
          When I bake my rolls I use fresh yeast and can have them on the table within 4 or 5 hours of starting. so sourdough sounded a right ordeal at first but once you've got your starter made its easy isn't it
          Yes!

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
          I have been bad - I have left my sponge to its own devices since last night when I made it - so I hope it is still happy. I shall make the bread tonight and leave it to prove overnight
          As long as you don't forget it...
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

• Bread made for the first slow overnight rise - a nice little ten minute workout kneading it - I hope my kneading technique is up to the job! First thing in the morning it will get knocked back and left to rise again while I go to school!
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

• Well the loaf is taking its time to prove - it has been in the airing cupboard since 8.30 this morning and still has only risen a little bit - about as big as it was before I knocked it back. Dilemma now - will it rise with more time or do I cut my losses and bake this loaf as it is? It looks far too small at the moment, bearing in mind that Mothhawk's was so vigorous.
              I think we have learning difficulties down this end, my sourdough and me!

Well a few hours on and it is certainly more risen - and the central heating has kicked in so the airing cupboard will be a bit warmer soon. Hopefully it will rise a bit more and reach the edge of the basket it is in
              Last edited by Jeanied; 21-02-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Glad to hear its risen some more

I try and time mine so I bake/cook something else in the oven at the same time or just after.

Comment

• My sourdough is getting out and about . I passed some starter on to a friend from the lottie site today, and son No2 took a loaf down to Portsmouth while he visits Kissykit (DD). I did say he should take some starter too, in case she wanted to make some, but with the excitement of a last minute interview, we forgot. Never mind, if she wants some I can take it with me when we visit and pick him up on Sunday.
                  I've been really busy today, and forgot to feed my yeastie beasties, but I'm sure they will cope until tomorrow.
                  I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                  Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Well it finally got baked at 8 pm - approx 12 hours after knocking back and starting its 3 hour prove! It turned out to be a flat shape - and very scruffy - got baked a bit too much - but once sliced it is sooo tasty! I can see how this could be a real winner as a bread. Next time I will use more plain strong flour as 100% wholemeal is a bit dense in texture.
                    No pictures I am afraid as it is all hacked up and scoffed! Yummy bread!
                    Last edited by Jeanied; 21-02-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• I've found using wholemeal for the sponge, and adding white to turn it into dough work well for me.
                      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!

Comment

• Congrats on the first of your many sourdough loaves Jeanie and you're right they don't last long do they.
                        I baked this one today my slashing looks a bit lopsided but never mind.

edited to say here's a photo of the cut loaf. made using 1/4 spelt with 3/4 white

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bren In Pots; 22-02-2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Conditions for production of my lastest loaf had to change to fit in with life. It seems to have worked well, beginning with my starter getting a bit frisky and climbing out of the jar overnight, so the sponge was made earlier than norml. This meant the flour was added to the dough in the evening, and I put it to rise overnight in the fridge. This morning I knocked it back, it had risen, but I wasn't keen on the feel of the cold dough. I put it to prove, but had to go out this afternoon and didn't have time to bake it, so back into the fridge. When I came home I took the dough from the fridge while the oven heated, and carried on as normal. The loaf looks good, very simliar to the more organised ones, so don't get too worried if you have to slow the process down a bit to fit production in with unexpected events.

Edit - spreading the word
                          We went out with a friend from my uni days last night, told her about our sourdough journey, and she's asked for a bit of starter to have a go herself. She wants to go the 'lazy way' and cut out making her own starter.
                          Last edited by BarleySugar; 24-02-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• BarleySugar I've found sourdough to be very forgiving and not at all like baking using fresh yeast.

Comment

• I think I am going to have to give up - this lot (made with Barleysugar's kindly donated starter) has actually gone mouldy (the blue mould, not good stuff)!!

No idea what I am doing wrong??

Comment

• Sorry to hear that Thea could it be your flour do you think.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X