Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just wondered I ate most of ours though, lovely with blue cheese. OH didn't take to them. I might try doing some sweet ones with fruit next time.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I have had to give up on my starter,it just didn't seem to get going .I think my kitchen must be too cold. I did manage to cultivate a nice blue penicillin though. I am really disappointed as i adore bread and enjoy making it ,still never say never so I'll have another go.

Comment

• Just want to say I haven't been doing the "chuck half of it away! thing. Seems a dreadful waste. I just don't add much in the way of "feed" (just a dessert spoonfull a day). If I know I'm going to be making a loaf (get me!!!) I just top up the feed amount the day before so that there is a generous 300ml in the jar, then when I've taken what I need start adding the small feeds again. Works for me. Won't ever bother with yeast again!
        When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

• CT I'm the same I haven't thrown any away since the first week when I was establishing my starter.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Another beauty just out of the oven - started it this morning - didn't need long for it to "Sponge Up". Going to take it to work tomorrow so they can try it. They don't believe you can make fantastic bread without yeast! BTW...I work in the village bakery.....!!!!

Comment

• I got home tonight and my dough had turned to porridge I started the sponge last night, added the flour and kneaded this morning, (texture was fine) and went to shape tonight. It was just so wet it was impossible to handle (and I didn't use a machine to knead it), so I had to add more flour. I then kneaded it again, hopefully it'll rise, and I can shape and prove before bed.
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!

Comment

• Hope your loaf works out OK in the end BS

Comment

• Sadly I just ended up with a solid brick . The dough did not recover, I left it ovenight, but it just did not rise. I was a bit surprised, because I would have thought adding more flour would have been food for the yeast. I ended up cooking it, and will probably put it out for the birds.
                  This link describes exactly what happened to mine. danlepard.com • View topic - Why does my sourdough collapse and go soggy?
                  OH had bought the flour from Tesco, not sure if that was the problem, I've used it succsssfully before for normal bread. However I left it in the kitchen to rise, and as the sun was shining I wonder if it got too warm as well as having a bit longer to rise as I was out to work. It might have been a combination of both.
                  Last edited by BarleySugar; 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Sorry to hear that BS I've only ever baked with Tesco flour once the dough was very wet and sticky it just stuck everywhere. So I'll be sticking with the flour I get from the local corn merchant it doesn't have any additives in just wheat.

Comment

• ...and today's offering is a half white/wholemeal loaf. Took longer to rise than the plain white or granary versions I've done before, but it's another winner in this house! Don't think I'll ever buy bread again. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this stuff!!!!

Comment

• I've been mixing either Spelt or Canadian flour with white and the Spelts been my fave of the two, I do like the taste of granary but it doesn't like my tummy.

You're right though sourdough bread is the best

Comment

• Why do I start reading threads like this just as I'm about to go to bed. Now I have to go to the kitchen to get a starter on the go
                          Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

• Did you lot see the Hairy Bikers tonight?
                            In Norway, one of the last places they stopped off at made the most fantastic sour dough bread.
                            Worth watching on iplayer if you can!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up Nicos I'll have a look on iPlayer tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisB View Post
                                Why do I start reading threads like this just as I'm about to go to bed. Now I have to go to the kitchen to get a starter on the go
                                ChrisB welcome to the thread

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X