Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderflower Cordial without citric acid.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra lemons are a good substitute for citric acid however citric acid is normally included in recipes is so the lemon flavour which is fairly strong does not overpower the delicate flavour of the elderflowers. Another alternative is to use an orange.

Comment

... but what else is in citric acid? I'd prefer to be as natural as possible, personally..

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
        ... but what else is in citric acid? I'd prefer to be as natural as possible, personally..
        You'll just have to ask for ORGANIC citric acid then Chris................and the greengrocer will hand you a handful of lemons!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

That'd be fine, as long as they weren't waxed

Comment

Out of curiosity why are you freezing it once bottled, surely the citrus and sugar are acting as a natural preservative?

In principle isn't it the same as making jam?, or am I missing something. If you sterilse the bottles and reheat the liquor prior to bottling wouldn't this ensure you have a liquid which will store.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              There is nothing ELSE in citric acid, it is one substance, with a chemical formula (which I don't happen to know offhand), that occurs in nature, OR can be man-made, but only from other things that occur in nature. There is citric acid in lemon juice, and it could be extracted. (but the commercial one is made, not extracted).
              The substances known as 'organic' compounds (not the same meaning as 'organic' in gardening, it just means they are produced by living things) can be converted into other 'organic' substances, but no-one has ever made any from non-organic substances.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                Out of curiosity why are you freezing it once bottled, surely the citrus and sugar are acting as a natural preservative?

In principle isn't it the same as making jam?, or am I missing something. If you sterilse the bottles and reheat the liquor prior to bottling wouldn't this ensure you have a liquid which will store.
                I've found with the elder flowers having there own kind of yeast in them it doesn't keep very well. It's one of those cordials that has to be drank within a few weeks of making. It has to be kept in the fridge once it's been made. That's the reason I freeze it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X