breadmaking

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caro View Post
    Lindy, go for the second breadmaker and don't feel bad! After all, you know the one you have doesn't work properly!
    I second this! If the first breadmaker doesn't work properly you're just wasting money on ingredients and time in trying to make a loaf of bread that won't come out properly.
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
    www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

thanks, all. i am just now going to phone to get the other bread maker. i really did do everything by the instruction book/ recipe. not because i am a good cook, but because i am so mean with my pennies that i didn't want to waste any money! oh well- wish me luck!

Comment

Best of luck! And let us know how you get on

Comment

Originally posted by kalimna View Post
          May I suggest that anyone who is interested in home baked bread gets themselves a copy of the River Cottage guide. It really is an excellent bread book, explaining concisely and simply why things that are done in bread baking are done at all.
          As for the salt issue, whether you taste it or not, you will find bread quite insipid without it. Not only does it affect the action/properties of the wheat gluten as mentioned above, retarding the action of the yeast (which is important for flavour), but the presence of salt is what gives bread a nice crusty, ern, crust. There is certainly no health issues whatsoever with the amount of salt suggested in bread (20g per 1000g of flour).

I would also suggest that, for anyone seriously interested in home made bread they should ditch the breadmaker and use their own hands and oven. What you lose in convenience is easily made up for in texture, taste, personal satisfaction, variety of loaf shape and size. And also sourdough is essentially impossible with breadmakers (to my knowledge).

Sourdough, made with a home starter of flour and water, contains nothing but flour, water and salt. Naturally occurring yeasts and bacteria form a symbiotic culture that is probably the oldest method used to make a raised dough product. The flavour is much stronger (though not saltier) than ordinary bread, and the texture chewier, but it is fabulous stuff.

As for fats in the mix, whatever bread Im making (unless it is an enriched dough for a fruity loafy thing like chelsea buns, or a ciabatta), I don't use any. They really aren't necessary, but can add a moistness and lightness to a loaf, or certain flavours in the case of olive oil or chilli oil.

I have a serious passion for bread, and love making the stuff, and the satisfaction of breaking open a well risen sourdough loaf is much greater even than the smell of it baking....

Just my tuppenceworth,

Adam S
          While even the best instant coffee isn't the same as the 'proper stuff', some of it can be pretty good, it's ready quickly, and it costs a lot less too!
          Not everyone who likes the idea of home made bread wants to go to the lengths of making a hundred-and-one varieties, and for those of us whose wish for flexibility is more modest, the 'dough' cycle of the bread machine is an excellent solution. There is really NO alternative if you want fresh-baked bread for breakfast.
          If you want to do things the hard way, that is fine, and I am sure there are some advantages, for the purist, but there is no need to imply that anyone who likes the easier version is getting things wrong!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

To be honest, I've had hand-made bread that was vile (ex-boyfriend's mother's - UGH), and I've had machine-made bread that's lovely (mine and my parent's!).

So whilst I'm not denying that hand-made bread may be better, I would say that I'm absolutely satisfied with machine-made bread. In fact, as a full-time working mother with considerable time constraints, I can safely say I doubt I'll ever hand-bake bread myself.

I'm no bread purist myself but each to his/her own. I'm entirely happy with machine-baked bread but fully admit that hand-made bread may be something folks can get right into. It's just not for me, is all.

Comment

Nice sharp photos, Croila

I'm quite tempted to pick the RC bread book up, just so I can see how they do it (more importantly, how long) as I quite fancy trying to kneed in breadmachine, and then bake in the oven!

Comment

yeah!!! i did it!!! i have just produced a good loaf, as a first attempt, in the breadmaker which i collected today. however, i don't really find the taste and texture is too my personal taste, as it is very moist ( a bit greasy ?) and fluffy, and sweet- cotton candy bread. ( like very cheap value bread in texture)

i like my bread quite dry and a courser texture- and ussually prefer bread when it is a bit stale. i like an old fashioned farmhouse loaf. however, i do love fresh baked bakery bread ie a french stick.

does anyone have a recipe for a farmhouse loaf that you are willing to share? could you good people tell me how to adjust the recipe to get a loaf more to my liking? if i cut down on the oil/ butter, should i add an equivelent amount of water? do i need to subsitute anything if i cut down on sugar?

thanks again for all of your help and patience!

Comment

Lindy, you need to tell us what you put in (your recipe) and what setting you used on the machine...?
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

thanks ts; it was just the basic white loaf.meduim colour crust

water 1 1/8c
                    skimmed milk powder 2tbsp
                    sugar 2 tbsp
                    salt 1 1/4 tsp.
                    oil 2 1/2 tbsp
                    s. w.b. flour 3 cups
                    dry yeast 1 1/4 tsp

basic white setting

i want to get rid of the powdered milk , reduce the sugar, and although i used veg. oil, i want to exchange it for butter.

Comment

The only thing I notice that's different to my recipe is you have a lot of sugar in yours: I use the same amount for salt, sugar & yeast.
                      I don't use powdered milk at all.
                      You could use 30g butter instead of your oil
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-11-2010, 07:36 AM.

Comment

thanks ts, i will give it a go later.

Comment

Mr TS made a not-quite-baked, doughy heavy white loaf y'day.

He used too much of everything - he followed the ingredients list for an extra large loaf but baked it as a medium loaf. Didn't cook properly

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X