breadmaking

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
    Dove's Farm organic flour, from Tesco, is not the cheapest, but it's darn good. Also, you could find out if you've got a local working water-mill or windmill that sells its own flour. I sometimes get my flour from a working water-mill about three miles away. The food-miles are effectively zero, because the grain for grinding comes from the farm next door.
    [edit] - I see lindyloo beat me to it with that idea.
    Stephen, how long does your flour keep, please? Do you get a big sack of it?
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
    www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

Originally posted by Croila View Post
      The Maggot Experience
      Oh, had that too! And the Moth Experience (open cupboard door, out flutters loads of tiny food moths. Yes, they hatched from the flour & stuff)

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
      you could find out if you've got a local working water-mill or windmill that sells its own flour.
      There's only one, and it's not nearby: Letheringsett Watermill, Holt, Norwich, Norfolk, milling demonstrations, wholewheat flour, spelt flour

Good idea though
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm finding our rapid bake option makes nicer textured bread.. I'm sure it's to do with the yeast and warm water (with reduced salt too) that goes into the bread. Infact, I prefer it... Plus it means I can have bread in an hour if we want it (i.e after watching HFW's courgette poplethingymabobs I fancied them with a wedge of bread - by the time I'd cooked them, the bread was done too - sorted! )

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
          I'm finding our rapid bake option makes nicer textured bread.. I'm sure it's to do with the yeast and warm water (with reduced salt too) that goes into the bread. Infact, I prefer it... Plus it means I can have bread in an hour if we want it (i.e after watching HFW's courgette poplethingymabobs I fancied them with a wedge of bread - by the time I'd cooked them, the bread was done too - sorted! )
          Hmmm, first loaf I made in mine was on the rapid bake setting with white flour, and I really didn't like it. It didn't seem to have any taste and was a horrible cardboardy texture. Maybe it was just the recipe in the book supplied, but I can't see me using rapid bake again somehow

Comment

I can't remember if you bought the BM450? If so, the rapid bake loaf in my book (same machine) is mostly white, but a bit of wholemeal flour.. I think it's around 80% white, 20% brown..

Comment

Yep, it was indeed the BM450, and I used the rapidbake plain white recipe. I don't think I put brown flour in it but I can't swear to it. Mind you, I shouldn't have bothered because I don't actually like white bread - it was my husband who was dying to see what it was like and wanted the quickest possible loaf!

When did you get that machine and are you happy with it? I do like it, but sometimes find the digital display is a bit tricky to read if the light's shining the wrong way on it ... That's the only complaint though!

Comment

Once you've gotten used to making bread in the machine, trying swapping ingredients, e.g. use flavoured oils instead of butter, put in your own additions, e.g. dried tomatoes, olives, onions, oh and don't forget, you can also makes cakes and jam in the machines. My best cake so far has been chocolate chips but like all cakes, the problem with them is that they soon get eaten.
                Built for comfort, not speed!

Comment

I can't see me using rapid bake again somehow
                  We don't like the rapid bakes either: they are much heavier and more doughy. They usually ask for more sugar/yeast too to compensate for the reduced rising time
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 15-11-2010, 04:14 PM.

Comment

i have bought the flour now- allinsons extra strong. it said 'for improved hieght' or something along those lines. judging from my previous attempts without a breadmaker, i thought that i would need all of the help i can get ie. 'rising' to the challenge

also noted that our local co-op has the dove brand which you mention, and which is suitable for celiacs, which my sister has ( i will make her some bread when i get going). the breadmaker whcih was given to me included a book with a lot of recipes in , and quite a few for celiacs, so that should be useful.

one more question; can you make up several loaves on the dough setting, and put them aside to bake in a conventional oven, thereby saving on electric? if so, how long can they set aside for, prior to baking?

Comment

Originally posted by lindyloo View Post
                      can you make up several loaves ... if so, how long can they set aside for, prior to baking?
                      Yes.
                      Keep them covered with a damp cloth or in a plastic bag to stop them drying out. I reckon overnight is OK (8 hrs or so?)
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 15-11-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Dove's Farm originated not so very many miles from here. Not sure if it still comes from the original place.
                        If bread flour is kept DRY it will keep a long time (may or may not lose some vitamins, but bread isn't a major source of those anyway). If it gets damp, it may go mouldy (penicillin, but who wants it in that form?) or insects may find their way in. Really dry flour will NOT get insectified.
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by hamsterhead View Post
                          Once you've gotten used to making bread in the machine, trying swapping ingredients, e.g. use flavoured oils instead of butter, D
                          I've still got a LOT of experimenting to do, but the first thing I'd like to do is try oil instead of butter. I wonder if anyone could tell me how much oil (and what type?) to use in place of 25g of butter?

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                            If bread flour is kept DRY it will keep a long time (may or may not lose some vitamins, but bread isn't a major source of those anyway). If it gets damp, it may go mouldy (penicillin, but who wants it in that form?) or insects may find their way in. Really dry flour will NOT get insectified.
                            Thank you for this info ... That's interesting. So it's okay to stockpile flour then, as long as it's dry. That's good to know because my nearest supermarket often runs out of the Doves Farm Malthouse flour that's my favourite, and I've got a nice big, dry cupboard to keep some reserves in. Good stuff!

Comment

Love my bread machine.
                              There seems to be a theory that "slow" bread is better for you and has a lower GI. I haven't done any research into it, but here, people put a lot of importance on really traditional bread.

Comment

tell me how much oil (and what type?) to use in place of 25g of butter?
                                I never use butter, I use 2 tbsp oil instead (30ml)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X