No announcement yet.

Quorn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like tofu, quorn but not keen on TVP which find a bit rubbery.
    I was veggie for many years, but not now, just slowly lapsed. My son who is now 8 decided of his own accord that he wanted to be veggie when he was 3 and a half as he didnt want to eat animals. Neither my partner or myself were veggie at the time. It was a christmas at my mums and my sister who was there is veggie. He had the option of a nutroast which he relished

I got many responses such as he'll grow out of it etc, obviously some people found the concept difficult? I think he enjoyed having the option, plus prior to this he had started to call any discolouration on meat a bruise, clearly seeing it as flesh from an early age. Plus I have never hidden behind terms such as bacon, ham, beef etc, but told him which animal it was from.

He is still a veggie, and Im very proud of him for sticking to his guns. It probably helped that as a previous veggie Im not daunted by veggie cooking, or cooking two versions of the same meal. My 5 year is not veggie and enjoys a good old sausage, whether it be meat, quorn or a glamorgan! Given the choice tho he'd just eat sweets crisps and biscuits

We try to buy outdoor free range meat especially pork and go to a butcher that sources meat locally. Dont eat loads tho. Chicken would love to get oranic but hey ho funds are low, again get free range, but mainly drummers and thighs as cant afford a whole bird free range. We allhave things we love hate or are indifferent to. Part of life is having a look at your neighbours plate and thinking "do I fancy that?"
    Last edited by jackyspratty; 27-09-2010, 07:59 PM.
    http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
      Chinese market here sells freshly made tofu.... It's delish.
      I've eaten it in all forms, I keep trying it when I find a new restaurant: even the real Chinese cooks in Singapore can't sway me. I just don't like it

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
      I've never felt even mild annoyance at what someone else chooses to eat. ....and have yet to meet a 'superior' vegetarian who treats me like I'm a moron for eating meat.
      I've never tried to convert anyone, and I cook meat every day for OH(without wincing or lecturing). Despite that, I still frequently get "questioned" (sometimes aggressively) about my food choices.
      I also get served foods that I don't like (sweet peppers, pastry) despite having made people aware that I don't like them. I'm aware that vegetarianism is odd/difficult to cater for, so I always say I'm perfectly happy with a jacket potato, cheese & salad. Then I find I'm served a complicated, fussy pastry pepper concoction, heavily dressed with how difficult it is to cater for me!
      I am made to feel that my food choices are wrong, or boring, or inadequate, or that I am fussy or peculiar. It's deeply insulting actually, and I now avoid eating out or going round other people's for dinner
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Two Sheds, you wouldn't get any such reaction from me. I HAVE had preaching-vegetarians, but I've got over how I used to feel because of it; others may not have managed that. Then there are those who have a nagging feeling that they shouldn't eat meat, and who do take it out on every vegetarian they meet (I've met a few of those too). I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about being an omnivore (exactly where the meat has come from is occasionally another matter) and I'm quite happy to cook for those whose dietary choices are more limited than mine (I even set about planning a paella-inspired meal for a vegan, but then she ended the relationship with my son, so the situation never arose).
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
          there are those who have a nagging feeling that they shouldn't eat meat, and who do take it out on every vegetarian they meet
          I think that's what it is. I get the same kind of reaction because I cycle instead of drive
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Hilary B View Post
            there are those who have a nagging feeling that they shouldn't eat meat, and who do take it out on every vegetarian they meet

I think that's what it is. I get the same kind of reaction because I cycle instead of drive

Some of those who react that way are reacting to a certain amount of PCish anti-meat attitudes in some public places.
            I know several people who react badly to other 'subtle messages' put across on TV and other media, and while I don't know their attitudes on vegetarainism, I suspect it might be similar.
            I can (to some extent) 'see where they are coming from' even while finding their response unrealistic.
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I quite like Quorn especially the mince which is great in shepherds pie, spag.bol etc., even my meat eating O.H. likes it & can't really tell the difference. I eat Quorn sausages sometimes too, they're O.K. cooked with onions or dolloped with tomato sauce!
              Like Rhona though I think halloumi cheese grilled or fried makes a great 'meat substitute' in a meal although it can be a bit salty at times.
              I'm not strictly vegetarian, I just don't eat meat/poultry etc. but sometimes it's easier to say I am veggie & just eat a salad!
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                It's probably guilt, TS. Not that you set out to make anyone else feel guilty, but most of us are aware that our actions don't live up to our ideals, and it's always easier to make the person who lives his/her truths seem ridiculous than to change our ways.
                I was vegetarian for 20 years - seduced by bacon sarnies when I was cooking for a living! There was much more hostility then towards the non-meat eaters.

Oh, yes - quorn: tried it, don't like it. Don't like tofu either but use soya milk as I have a lactose sensitivity.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X