Live Yeast for a Bread Maker?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
    So do Tesco's if you ask at the bakery....
    Your very lucky as my local Tesco stopped baking on the premises about a year ago. They now have the baked bread and cakes delivered direct to the store. The quality of this is very poor and they have had numerous complaints.

Comment

Bren,

I'm impressed! I've just gone by Flummery's destructions and my dough is now sitting in my kenwood for an hour!

How long do you bake your loaves for and at what temperature? They look wonderful!

TBK

Comment

Don't ask me why but baking times always seems variable. This batch was baked 220c for 30ish minutes. I did wet the tops with salt water which encourages browning.
        I make a batter with the water/yeast and half flour first. Cover with remaining flour and leave until the batter bubbles through. Mix on slow with dough hook until elastic for at least 8/10 minutes and then leave to rise.

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
          So do Tesco's if you ask at the bakery.... this is[ATTACH]14717[/ATTACH] my today's bake. 3lb of strong flour and fresh yeast + salt and oil kneeded in the Kitchenaid...
          Never tried Tesco - but I know Sainsburys charge us ( its only a few pence )

Comment

A bit off topic, but did you know your breadmaker is great for baked potatoes. Much more economical than puting the oven on if your only baking 1 or 2 spuds. Bout 7 mins in microwave then 20 mins in bread machine. Proper job.
            Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
            Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

Comment

Brengirl, your bread looks so good!
              SYB, I must try that with the tatoes!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeeKeeper View Post
                Bren,

I'm impressed! I've just gone by Flummery's destructions and my dough is now sitting in my kenwood for an hour!

How long do you bake your loaves for and at what temperature? They look wonderful!

TBK
                Whoo, sorry not to get back to you on this - hope it's not risen to fill the kitchen! I bake at 220 for half an hour. I turn the loaf half way through.

Hope it's good!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I used to make bread with the Kenwood Chef (years ago). never really thought about how it was kneaded, I just kept it mixing until it looked right (and felt right once I switched the machine off, all sort of springy and dry on the surface).
                  I used to take the hook out, but leave in the bowl to rise. Trying to get the dough off the hook gives a good idea whether it is ready, it comes off without sticking noticeably to the fingers.
                  Once risen, I only ever kneaded it enough to shape it, then let it rise again.
                  I used to use the old-fashioned sort of dried yeast, OR fresh when I could get any (the quick-type hadn't gone on sale in those days), and I always activated the yeast first.
                  If you want to use fresh yeast or a sourdough method in the breadmaker, I reckon you would need the liquid and yeast mix to already be actively fermenting before you start things off, and that means you can't use the timer. (not tried it, but going by how the breadmaker does things, and how the fresh yeast method worked for time)
                  A fridge shouldn't kill off yeast in a dough mix, but it WILL slow things down, and how long it takes to get going again can be very variable.....
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                    I used to make bread with the Kenwood Chef (years ago). never really thought about how it was kneaded, I just kept it mixing until it looked right (and felt right once I switched the machine off, all sort of springy and dry on the surface).
                    I used to take the hook out, but leave in the bowl to rise. Trying to get the dough off the hook gives a good idea whether it is ready, it comes off without sticking noticeably to the fingers.
                    Once risen, I only ever kneaded it enough to shape it, then let it rise again.
                    I used to use the old-fashioned sort of dried yeast, OR fresh when I could get any (the quick-type hadn't gone on sale in those days), and I always activated the yeast first.
                    If you want to use fresh yeast or a sourdough method in the breadmaker, I reckon you would need the liquid and yeast mix to already be actively fermenting before you start things off, and that means you can't use the timer. (not tried it, but going by how the breadmaker does things, and how the fresh yeast method worked for time)
                    A fridge shouldn't kill off yeast in a dough mix, but it WILL slow things down, and how long it takes to get going again can be very variable.....

Exactly put Hilary. Fresh yeast can still be activated even though frozen. I buy fresh yeast from Morrisons and freeze till required. I do somehow feel that the older the yeast the more help it needs to get going again but that said it is a learning curve. The 'books' say the longer the prove the better flavour the bread and I have found this true.

Comment

Originally posted by WrexTheDragon View Post
                      The fridge will kill the live yeast and I guess you will have issues with the bread rising?
                      Erm, the fridge/freezer will not kill yeast. I buy 750 gram blocks of fresh yeast from Sainsburys for 99p. Yeast can be frozen, ideally in small batches (ie 1oz's). It can also be stored in the fridge.

Storing bread dough in the fridge merely slows down the proving rate, it takes longer to 'double in size', but doesn't kill the yeast.

The only thing that kills yeast is heat, usually around 200 degrees C.

TheBeeKeeper, when you say 'live' yeast, do you mean fresh or a sourdough starter?

valmarg

Comment

Valmarg,

As 'live' I mean fresh! I managed to persuade my Sainsburys to eventually sell me 125g of yeast for 16p. We had guests this evening (for t'other halfs Birthday) and whilst I only got home at 5pm, and needed to cook 2 courses, I thought it would be a great idea to make some fresh rolls.

I went by the river cottage Bread book for quantities.. 500g flour, 300ml water, 10g yeast, glug of oil and 10g salt. I crumbled the yeast into the bottom of the bowl (in the absense of any other idea of what I should do with it!)

Result was 6 happy people with lovely fresh bread, which made up for over cooking the suppsedly soft boiled eggs for dippy eggs with asparagus.

I think bread is almost like being nervous with a dog... does that sound rubbish? If you worry about it, nervous, you'll get a poor response. Grow confident with the process that you are trying to acheive, and you'll be rewarded.

Thanks all,

TBK

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
                          Erm, the fridge/freezer will not kill yeast. I buy 750 gram blocks of fresh yeast from Sainsburys for 99p. Yeast can be frozen, ideally in small batches (ie 1oz's). It can also be stored in the fridge.

Storing bread dough in the fridge merely slows down the proving rate, it takes longer to 'double in size', but doesn't kill the yeast.

The only thing that kills yeast is heat, usually around 200 degrees C.

TheBeeKeeper, when you say 'live' yeast, do you mean fresh or a sourdough starter?

valmarg
                          I'm glad I'm not the only one to think "hang on, if the yeast isn't live it won't do anything, must mean FRESH, because the dried yeast is still LIVE."
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

How long does Fresh Yeast last for in the fridge? I managed to get 125g from Sainsburys for 16p... but it had a best before date of the next day.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

TBK

Comment

I make pizza dough and freeze half, they still expand after defrosting

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeeKeeper View Post
                                How long does Fresh Yeast last for in the fridge? I managed to get 125g from Sainsburys for 16p... but it had a best before date of the next day.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

TBK
                                Dont know but you can freeze it.
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X