Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread machines

Hi
    Although I use my bread machine a lot, I've always felt the results tasted a bit like shop bread, ie steam-cooked and too light + it's got a damn great hole in the middle and it's a weird shape, the bread tins provided make a very tall loat.
    I started experimenting with just working to the dough cycle, which I use for French sticks, ciabatta etc and it works beautifully. I made a very good wholemeal loaf, nutty, sweet and with a good heft to it.
    So will not be cooking the bread in my machine again, just put it on to dough cycle, then take it out, knock it around a bit, prove for half an hour and cook for half an hour or so on Gas 7 and you get an excellent "normal" shaped loaf.
    And I know you purists will say why bother with it at all, but I love the way I can put all the ingredients in the tin, turn the machine on and wait for the pinger to go announcing a lovely piece of dough
    Sue

Sue, like you I thought the breadmaker was great but... I do the same by using it for the mixing cycle. If you work it right you can get a couple of mixes ready at the same time to put in the oven together. I find the cup measuring easier than weighing.
    Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Whatever works for you best, who cares what the "purists" say. For me, I'm happy to use my bread machine to do the full loaves as they're great for what we want but also use the dough settings quite a bit for baggettes, rolls, pizza, naan breads etc. Suppse I just like the idea that I can put in on on timer when I go to bed / work and there's a lovely warm fresh loaf ready and waiting when I get up / come in.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Nothing better than making your own Bread the proper way. I do have a bread making machine but it is only used to bake loaves for fishing bait.
        Otherwise it is hand made by me.
        Benacre
        http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Benacre View Post
          Nothing better than making your own Bread the proper way. I do have a bread making machine but it is only used to bake loaves for fishing bait.
          Otherwise it is hand made by me.
          Benacre
          I held off buying one for years as I always thought it was a cop out but then never had the time to actually make bread (that work stuff kind of keeps getting in the way of what I want to do!). However, since I bought it we haven't bought any bread from the shops and wish I'd got it earlier. Not so good for taking out agression though!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Went to make another loaf today, lifted up the lid - oh cripes! guess who had thrown the paddle out because it was stuck in the bottom of the loaf I threw out a few days ago! OH found me one ont' pooter - £6.45 for a new one - couple of days delivery! Ooops! DDL
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Havent bought a shop loaf for 2 years or more. Would not cope with out our bread maker.

Comment

Me neither! Don't know what we shall do until the new paddle arrives! DDL
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

yea agression is best taken out on the bread.
                  Benacre
                  http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had one and used it often, but now have gone back to making it by hand 3-4 times a week, It takes 10 minutes to make plus rising, and the loaf tin is much nicer than the square with a hole in it.

I am no purist but cannot see the time saving really but the time thingds arewashed up and put away.

Comment

We've had a couple of bread-makers and what made the difference in the taste of the bread they produced was the flour we used. We now use Waitrose bread flour and it makes a great tasting loaf, other bread flours we tried were a bit 'solid'.
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I use my machine to make doughnut and pancake dough - don't make the bread in it any more. Also use it to make butter when I find cheap cream and to make jam now and again.
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                          I use my machine to make doughnut and pancake dough - don't make the bread in it any more. Also use it to make butter when I find cheap cream and to make jam now and again.
                          Oh ahhh..now this is really interesting....

Butter and jam...can you please explain further???
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Try OO flour

Comment

I use my breadmaker - to make bread ! I find it makes great bread. I used to make it by hand, but think the machine does it better in less of my time. The only thing I do different from the instructions is I sift the flour (as you do for hand baking). This gives a lighter, more even, loaf. Long live breadmakers !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X