No announcement yet.

Bread machines

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So glad I didn't waste my money on a breadmaker - panasonickenwoodtoshibachinesefactorypollution.

Just use hands and a oven - which I aquired a while ago.
    http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
    http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

whoops - 'acquired' - mr & mrs spelling police
      http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
      http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

So glad we acquired a bread machine - ours is a cheapo kenwood but has a nifty setting that makes jam! It makes about two jars per recipe-go so is good for when the supermarkets are selling off a tub of fruit out of season.

Don't know why but we found that this and our previous machine only really make tasty light bread when using the best flour - with 'cheap' bread flours they turn out solid & cakey. I can highly recommend Waitrose white and wholemeal bread flours they're the dogs dangly bits and make excellent bread machine bread.

Oh and we've used oil when we've run out of butter, just kind of guestimate the amount.
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 12-10-2007, 02:37 PM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Hey I've got a nifty setting - I make jam too!!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

The flour we use claims to be what the boulangeries use. Can't swear it is, but it does make exceedingly good bread.
            Haven't tried jam - it has a setting for it, though.

KK

Comment

According to the recipe book which came with our bread maker, you need to substitute 1tbsp of oil for 15g of butter which is what I need to put in for the smallest size of bread - we tend to always bake this size as it's better for our butties and it means we get fresh bread more often.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Have a go go.

I'm hungry reading all these posts, and now I'm interested in making my own.

Any do's and dont's...? before i go bread maker shopping..?
                Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                  I'm hungry reading all these posts, and now I'm interested in making my own.

Any do's and dont's...? before i go bread maker shopping..?
                  Buy one that has a good recipe book with it. Some make a small, square loaf and others make a larger loaf. I think I recall seeing one that could make 2 small loaves at the same time (good if one of you prefers brown or seeds or whatever).

think seriously about the quantity of bread you eat in the family and what type then find a maker that suits your needs and is the best you can afford. Having said that, I have one by Mellerware which is great though the loaf is too small for the family needs. I had a cheap one from Lidl which made a bigger loaf and for some strange reason I gave it away - now I wish I had both so that I could make white small loaves for the kids and large, seeded loaves for Madmax and I.

Nuff waffle - hope it helps you make your mind up.

Oh, a beep to tell you when to add fruit or seeds is a real bonus if you like those in your bread!
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Thankyou.

Cheers shirley, theres only me and 'im' indoors, but we both have packed lunch's every day so go through quite a bit.

Shirley, is it a case of the more expensive they are the better they are..? or is it they are all much of a muchness's (if that makes sence..?)

What are your thoughts on this one..? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4223979.htm

Finally... can you make jam in them all, or only those that say you can..? Sorry to be thick, i'm new to this.
                    Last edited by seasprout; 12-10-2007, 08:49 PM. Reason: more questions.

Comment

Whether you can make jam in it will be down to the programmes that the machine can do. Basically it'll have a number of different programmes for different types of bread - longer mixing, longer cooking, making dough or jam, etc.

So see if you can check the programmes/types of bread. Some have a facility for giving the bread an 'extra cook' if its not done on programme end (this didn't seem obvious to me at first! lol, but you can't just switch it on for longer as it'll try and mix from the start, not just continue to bake...). Ours has but havn't needed it yet.

re your link - "Unique kneading paddle drops down during bread making cycle - perfect loaves for slicing." - sounds interesting. Getting the paddle out of the baked bread is always the tricky bit!
                      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 12-10-2007, 09:08 PM.
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

re your link - "Unique kneading paddle drops down during bread making cycle - perfect loaves for slicing." - sounds interesting. Getting the paddle out of the baked bread is always the tricky bit!
                        Do you not think my teeth will find it...?

The reason I ask about the jam bit, is a guy at work makes jam in his and says's its so easy.

He gave me a jar of his finest Marrow jam and its wonderful... (Mostly sugar apparently)
                        Might be easier to pilot a spaceship, so much to consider.

Difficult to know what I need, without not knowing what I need......I think.

Cheers for your help.

Comment

No, they don't all do jam. I bought the Panasonic about a year ago and haven't really bought bread since. However, we don't really use most of the programmes and 90% of the time just go for a 50 / 50 white, wholemeal loaf which is lovely. Personally I don't find the nut and raisin dispenser particularly useful as the sorts of seeds and nuts that we use can be put in from the start without any worries. Anyway, back to the jam thing, there's no mention of jam in our instruction book so I guess it doesn't do it, don't find it a problem with the jam pan anyway so it wasn't a consideration for me - usually cook larger amounts than would be possible in the machine anyway.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

That looks pretty good but I would recommend popping into Comet or Currys and actually putting your hand on each one to see what shape loaf they make. the one I have which makes a square loaf doesn't give many 'whole' slices due to the paddle hole in the bottom. It is also a good idea to find one which really appeals to you (read the books to see what each one offers) then check out the internet and see if you can get the one you like cheaper.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

I reserved mine from Comet on line and then picked it up in store, for some reason it was £20 cheaper this way than just walking into the store and buying it. Doesn't make sense but it seems pretty common.

Comment

Internet prices are usually cheaper cos there are less overheads, we find it in my company, AND we arent allowed to price match on websites, not even our own! Thankfully with our new till system we too can offer reserve and collect, so no longer will be loosing out to the internet as they can pay online prices and we in the store get the sale!
                                Blessings
                                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X