No announcement yet.

Yorkshire puds - how do you do yours?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayne, something is worrying me now...I would normally put my Yorkshire Pudding pan (metal) on the hob to keep the fat hot while I pour in the batter. Presumably you can't do that with silicone...what do you do instead, or do you just work really quickly?
    Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 17-11-2009, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
      Wayne, something is worrying me now...I would normally put my Yorkshire Pudding pan (metal) on the hob to keep the fat hot while I pour in the batter. Presumably you can't do that with silicone...what do you do instead, or do you just work really quickly?
      Crikey - how long do you take?

To make things easier/quicker - once I've made the batter mix I put it into a jug.

I'd guess that taking the tray out of the oven, pouring the batter mix and getting it back in the oven is less than a minute.

Silicone tray is on top of a backing sheet - otherwise it'd be a dangerous and messy minute.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

The Healthy Way~I make my mix(two eggs!) and put it straight into a cold stone muffin tray.....they rise beautifully & never stick,although are definately missing out on the crispy bottom factor!OK though!
        The Tastier Way~pretty much as everyone else...heat the oil til it's smoking & then add the mix.
        Whats also nice is if you very finely slice/chop some onion & pop into the fat half way through heating!
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I'm making Toad-in-the-hole tonight with onion gravy. Might even do some creamy mash too.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
            Crikey - how long do you take?

To make things easier/quicker - once I've made the batter mix I put it into a jug.

I'd guess that taking the tray out of the oven, pouring the batter mix and getting it back in the oven is less than a minute.

Silicone tray is on top of a backing sheet - otherwise it'd be a dangerous and messy minute.
            Well, I once had an incident with a toad in the hole (don't ask ), and I read somewhere that the fat shouldn't cool down at all. Maybe I'm worrying too much then.
            Does the silicone go all wobbly when its hot? Its always worried me, but I keep thinking perhaps I might invest in some.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
              Well, I once had an incident with a toad in the hole (don't ask ), and I read somewhere that the fat shouldn't cool down at all. Maybe I'm worrying too much then.
              Does the silicone go all wobbly when its hot? Its always worried me, but I keep thinking perhaps I might invest in some.
              The muffin trays are "rubbery" obviously, but they hold their shape. We have ours on standard baking sheets as they'd be impossible to place directly on the oven shelf.

The larger "dish" shaped one I'll be using for tonight's dinner has a metal reinforceing ring set inside the silicone rim - after a certain size I guess they need some support.

Dunelm's sell them quite cheap if you fancy buying a trial set.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

After this yesterday; I bought some eggs today to make some YPs this weekend; and am going to get some silicone muffin trays specially.

Comment

The only silicone I've got is a Butterfly cake tin(?)...it goes pretty wobbly when hot,but then it was only from Poundland so maybe you get what you pay for???

I invested in several bits of Stoneware a couple of years back & although there's times they're not ideal(you mustn't add cold liquid to a hot stone)I wouldn't be without them.
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    and am going to get some silicone muffin trays specially.
                    You'll wonder why you've waited so long too.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I've got a silicone loaf tin and it's a bit rubbish (I think the expensive ones may be better and more sturdy) as it just sags at the sides to make a funny shaped loaf. I've used it with more sucess inside a normal tin but to be honest I just find it easier to use my normal tins. Plus am a bit dubious (although not sure) about some of the scare stories about cooking in silicone (don't use teflon much either) so prefer to avoid on the whole which is very easy as I have far more normal tins anyway and am not convinced it's any easier.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Phew Alison; I was going to go to Lakeland for mine anyway. I'll keep away from poundland.

What am I saying - I always keep away from poundland.

Can be having saggy muffins. Nosiree.

Comment

Does anyone else know of other local fayre .I remember going to visitan elderly aunt in Salisburyand instead of Yorkshire pudding they had a kind of sliced rolypoly. I 'd never had it before and being very young thought they were serving 'pudding' on the same plate. never tried to make it myself to me its yorkshires with sunday roast or nothing.

Comment

Aunt Bessie sells unbaked frozen ones which cook beautifully from frozen.
                            I have made the things, but it's impossible to make a small enough quantity for what we like, so we use the frozen ones.
                            The batter recipe I am used to has one egg and half-milk-half-water, same as I use for pancakes, but slightly less runny (except that quite often I use fine oatmeal instead of flour for pancakes). I learned from my Mum, who (so she told me) annoyed her school cookery teacher by producing the best risen puds in the class without obeying the teacher's instructions.
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Ok, a bit of own trumpet blowing here. Apologies in advance.

I'd forgotten about this until chatting to LadyWayne last night and I mentioned this thread.

A good friend of ours - who's a bit of a foodie, actually took a photo of the roast I served up last time she came because of the Yorkshire puds. She was so impressed.

Toad in the hole last night was tasty enough - batter was nice and crisp on the outside and fluffy/stodgy (in a good way if you know what I mean) in the middle. It rose really well, but then dropped down towards the end of cooking.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

i've just used my failsafe recipe
                                equal amounts of
                                flour
                                eggs
                                milk
                                and a pinch of salt
                                my mix just made 40 goodish ones
                                but it is roast beef at lunch
                                mmmmmmm!
                                onion gravy too......