HELP!!!....fermented fruit jam??????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!....fermented fruit jam??????

Hmm..yup just wondering quite what to do!!!

I've defrosted 15lbs of last years blackberries and squeezed out the juice on Saturday. Thought I'd have time to make the jam yesterday - but we went out for lunch....and arrived home at bedtime!!!

So - this morning- all is ready to make the bramble jelly- until I looked at the bowl of juice ( about 7 pints)....it's fermenting and frothy on the top!!!

OK- so I'm just wondering If I remove the frothy top- do you think I can still make 'jam' with the rest..(.it was hours and hours of work to extract the juice - and I'd weep if I had to chuck it)
    I know it will taste different- but the liquor tastes lovely.
    ...will the fermentation create storage problems- or will the fast boil sort that out????

(Nope- not got demijohns here to make it into wine- cos that's clearly what it wants to do!!)

Any advice peeps?????
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I'm very sorry to tell you to get the tissues out and pour it down the sink. You could add a suitable wine yeast and sugar and you may get a drinkable wine but I would be inclined to sigh, shrug and tell myself that this is a really good year for blackberries and in a few weeks time you can start again.
    Someone else may suggest an alternative though!

Comment

I'd just boil up the fruit. It will kill the yeast. Then taste it. If it tastes ok - make jam!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

OK...big breath in...I'm doing half a batch and seeing what it does!!!!...fingers crossed peeps!!!!

( *kicks herself for leaving about 12 demijohns in UK attic!!!*)
        Last edited by Nicos; 27-07-2009, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Out of interest- if it's not OK for wine- can I ferment the wine in something else???
          (...I know it's important to keep out the dreaded fruit fly)...ha ...I wonder what blackberry vinegar tastes like?????
          Last edited by Nicos; 27-07-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Try the other half as jam. Really.

Comment

I don't see why not. I ferment wine in my big stock pot sometimes.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

I've had juice start to ferment before I was ready to make jelly with it. I just boiled it up and made the jelly anyway It was absolutely fine, as Flum says, the hot boiling sugar is plenty hot enough to kill the yeast off.

Comment

Should be fine. As the others have said, the boiling will kill off any yeast present.

Comment

Do you think the resulting jam would taste "winey" though?

Comment

Mine didn't

Comment

well boiled, should be fine (as others have said). If you have a pot with a closeish fitting lid, you could ferment in that with a reasonable chance of success (not a metal pot), or if it does go vinegarry, it could make a wonderful basis for a salad dressing!
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                          Do you think the resulting jam would taste "winey" though?
                          It would have to be fermenting hard for several days I suspect.

PS - what's the problem with the taste of wine? I'm rather partial to it meself!
                          Last edited by Flummery; 27-07-2009, 01:41 PM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Ha ...well....25 pots of jam later......

Yup ....it smelled of mulled wine whilst on the rolling boil...and then just became fruity!

Glad I did it after all...just hope it keeps OK.

Well- that was the end of last years crop...and now it looks like a bumper year which is just starting to ripen!!!

Interestingly the jams/compots out here are very different to English ones. It's probably something to do with the sugar????

I was given a fantastic pot of apricot jam ...with the kernels from inside the stones added..and some garden herbs...tastes yummy!!!
                            Also rhubarb and prune!!!Yum! ( and they think I've got weird tastes!!!!)

Thanks peeps- at least other peeps won't waste fermenting juice!

Comment

Sounds yummy wine tasting jam, absolutely divine
                              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X