X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicos
    replied
    Originally posted by ohbeary View Post
    as for fermenting juice, well stop it with campden tablets/sodium metabisulphate for wine making, or as has been said boil it.

yup..but these are high on allergy sensitivities....bad news to loads of peeps!!!

Leave a comment:

• ohbeary
    replied
    Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
    Sounds yummy wine tasting jam, absolutely divine

Ha! light weights!!, I am Not an Allcy, still in training, I like to add a little brandy to my jams and whisky to the marmalade, makes breakfast bearable, as for fermenting juice, well stop it with campden tablets/sodium metabisulphate for wine making, or as has been said boil it.

Leave a comment:

• shirlthegirl43
    replied
    So my stock pot is okay to use - phew! I know I haven't poisoned anyone yet but was worried there for a wee while

Leave a comment:

• Hilary B
    replied
    Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
    Why not a metal pot? I often do the first ferment in my stainless steel stock pot due to a lack of fermenting buckets for stuff that needs straining after the first few days.

fine for a few days, but not for the whole time (in absence of demijohn) which is what I was talking about.
    Even for a brief period, I wouldn't use any metal container other than stainless steel.....

Leave a comment:

• shirlthegirl43
    replied
    Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
    well boiled, should be fine (as others have said). If you have a pot with a closeish fitting lid, you could ferment in that with a reasonable chance of success (not a metal pot), or if it does go vinegarry, it could make a wonderful basis for a salad dressing!
    Why not a metal pot? I often do the first ferment in my stainless steel stock pot due to a lack of fermenting buckets for stuff that needs straining after the first few days.

Leave a comment:

• HayleyB
    replied
    Sounds yummy wine tasting jam, absolutely divine

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Ha ...well....25 pots of jam later......

Yup ....it smelled of mulled wine whilst on the rolling boil...and then just became fruity!

Glad I did it after all...just hope it keeps OK.

Well- that was the end of last years crop...and now it looks like a bumper year which is just starting to ripen!!!

Interestingly the jams/compots out here are very different to English ones. It's probably something to do with the sugar????

I was given a fantastic pot of apricot jam ...with the kernels from inside the stones added..and some garden herbs...tastes yummy!!!
    Also rhubarb and prune!!!Yum! ( and they think I've got weird tastes!!!!)

Thanks peeps- at least other peeps won't waste fermenting juice!

Leave a comment:

• Flummery
    replied
    Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
    Do you think the resulting jam would taste "winey" though?
    It would have to be fermenting hard for several days I suspect.

PS - what's the problem with the taste of wine? I'm rather partial to it meself!
    Last edited by Flummery; 27-07-2009, 01:41 PM. Reason: added PS

Leave a comment:

• Hilary B
    replied
    well boiled, should be fine (as others have said). If you have a pot with a closeish fitting lid, you could ferment in that with a reasonable chance of success (not a metal pot), or if it does go vinegarry, it could make a wonderful basis for a salad dressing!

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    Mine didn't

Leave a comment:

• Polly Fouracre
    replied
    Do you think the resulting jam would taste "winey" though?

Leave a comment:

• rustylady
    replied
    Should be fine. As the others have said, the boiling will kill off any yeast present.

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    I've had juice start to ferment before I was ready to make jelly with it. I just boiled it up and made the jelly anyway It was absolutely fine, as Flum says, the hot boiling sugar is plenty hot enough to kill the yeast off.

Leave a comment:

• shirlthegirl43
    replied
    I don't see why not. I ferment wine in my big stock pot sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Flummery
    replied
    Try the other half as jam. Really.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X