No announcement yet.

Breadmakers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a wholemeal loaf on timer over night and was lovely to wake up to the smell of bread this morning. Had some for brekkie and am about to have some for lunch too - probably easier to cut now it's cooled down, couldn't wait earlier.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Well done!! Have been recommended a bread slicer from Lakeland for about £15 which enables you to cut hot/warm bread.
      Have bought one (as we have a shop locally) but now need to try it out.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Am so jealous of everyones bread makers (got one on order from santa!) i am having a go by hand. First time so will prob be awfull. Using extra strong wholemeal flour,dried yeast and oiled the inside of my cling film to prove. Just a question on the proving thing(technical hey) my yeast says only prove once but do want it light so can i prove more and do i just knead it a bit and leave again??

Comment

Has anyone got a decent recipe for rye sourdough bread. I made one with the recipe on the side of the packet and it's like a brick. Doesn't have to be for a breadmaker but that would be handy.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hello Annie, I have my breadmaker on order too - coming next week. I went for the Panasonic. I used to make my bread by hand and found I got a mucher lighter loaf if I made it with half wholemeal flour and half white. The quality of the flour does matter so go for the strong bread flour.

Also I made the dough in a big batch, enough for 3 loaves. I kept it in the fridge and just took out a loaf to prove on the day I wanted to bake it. That way I always had fresh bread without having to make the dough everyday. And yes, you can prove it more than once.

Hope your bread turns out great.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I agree with you about the flour Alice and it does seem that you get what you pay for. I got better bread when buying organic strong bread flour than when buying the cheap stuff. So I've decided to use up what is left and then go back to the good stuff. It might stop Mr E buying loaves for his and Miss E's sandwiches.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

Comment

Hello Earthbabe, sorry about your bread and I think the fault was probably not you. I don't have a recipe for the loaf you want but I do have instructions for making sour dough. It's a long and complicated procedure, whichever way you do it. Also Rye flour is very heavy and will make bread like a brick. It is much better mixed as a small quantity with other flour. I don't know what the recipe on your packet said but I suspect therein lies the fault. Why not get on to them and tell them how disappointed you are. I'm sure you'll get a freebie of some kind from them

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

It may be worth a try, I'll check the website to see if there is a diff recipe there.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

Comment

Originally posted by annie trip View Post
                    Am so jealous of everyones bread makers (got one on order from santa!) i am having a go by hand. First time so will prob be awfull. Using extra strong wholemeal flour,dried yeast and oiled the inside of my cling film to prove. Just a question on the proving thing(technical hey) my yeast says only prove once but do want it light so can i prove more and do i just knead it a bit and leave again??
                    Annie - I made our family bread for nearly 20 years before getting a bread machine. Your first batch will probably not be your best - so don't give up and keep at it. It is a skill which has to be learnt unfortunately, but a very worthwhile one.

I always used to prove twice. You get a far better loaf. I know you all like to use 100% wholemeal flour, but it doesn't necessarily make the best loaf, a combination of flours (white and wholemeal) makes a far superior loaf and if you get your white flour from an organic health food shop will be just as healthy.

It is also nice to make a mixture of loaves and rolls. I used to make loaves for breakfast and rolls for the packed lunch (hubby, me and two boys), saved all the arguements about who had the bigger slices!

Good luck (and I hope Santa is good to you!)
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Bought the Panasonic about 3 weeks ago now and haven't bought any bread since - have been putting it on timer for a fresh loaf for Saturday breakfast and have currently got rolls in the oven from a dough mix I made earlier. Have also made pizza dough (too wet so need to adapt the recipe) and naan breads so am a very happy baker! So far the best loaf has been a malted brown which was lovely, tried a seeded bread this week which was a bit heavy but think OH could have used too much flour (let him play with my new toy!) as it was a 1kg bag and if he'd only used the 475g required in the recipe there should have been plenty for me to use 500g for the rolls tonight - either that or Doves Farm are underweighing their flour and my suspicions are that this one is down to OH's use of the kitchen scales.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                        Has anyone got a decent recipe for rye sourdough bread. I made one with the recipe on the side of the packet and it's like a brick. Doesn't have to be for a breadmaker but that would be handy.
                        have one for farmers rye, rustic rye, rye&caraway, seeded rye, and spiced rye....any good? DDL
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Any that don't involve wheat or where wheat flour can be substituted will be great thanks.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

Comment

bumped

for Bigt888
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Can you get bread makers that do the kneading for you?

Probably a silly question!

But I have really weak and painful wrists that wouldn't be able to knead bread, let alone pick up a load of dough!

Also, can you make bread without dairy (I know you can) But I keep seeing recipes with butter and stuff in it.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                                Can you get bread makers that do the kneading for you?

Also, can you make bread without dairy (I know you can) But I keep seeing recipes with butter and stuff in it.
                                As far as I know, ALL breadmakers knead, you just add the ingredients and switch it on, mine rests, then mixes, then kneads, then bakes. It has a knead-only setting too, so I could bake the resultant dough in the oven if I wanted.

And the dairy, well, couldn't you use olive oil? I'm sure there must be dairy-free breadmaker recipes out there...?

Nix
                                "If you can see what the plate is made of, the portions are too small." Mrs G.Ogg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X