French Onion Soup

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Onion Soup

Was a bit dubious at first as I've never been hugely keen on onions and never made before, but was looking through recipe books for a soup that I had all the ingredients for so I don't have to go out and buy stuff!!

Anyways it has turned out very yummy and I wanted to share the recipe, another bonus is, according to the book it has only 23 calories per serving, which is handy as I am trying to lose a bit of weight.

Serves 4
    4 large brown onions thinly sliced
    50g butter
    180ml dry white wine
    750ml water (forgot this, but still tastes ok, and nice and thick)
    1 litre beef stock (3 oxo cubes was what I used in lieu of 'proper' stock)
    1 bay leaf
    1 tbsp plain flour
    1 tsp fresh thyme leaves.

Melt butter in frying pan and cook onions for about 30 mins or until caramelised
    Put wine in saucepan and bring to boil. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in water, stock and bay leaf, return to boil then remove from heat.
    Stir flour into onion mixture and cook, stirring for 2 minutes
    Gradually add stock mixture to onions, stirring until mixture thickens slightly.
    Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Discard bay leaf, stir in thyme.

Also gives detail for gruyere croutons, which to me essentially is a slice of cheese on toast with it. I have used a nice mature cheddar and its yum.
    Kirsty b xx

Thanks for sharing. I love onion soup but the recipes I have tried turn out way too buttery which spoils it.

I will give this a try as it sounds like it has less butter to the stock and onions.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Cooking with wine...great

I love onion soup but the side effects afterwards...

Comment

Haven't suffered any after effects yet, but I do have cast iron digestion
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Like you Kirsty, I too have 'cast iron' innards. I usually do Delia Smith's recipe which is just sensational. I will be giving this one a try, and comparing results as we both love FO Soup!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

do you need to get french onions, and if you haven't got french onions, is it just onion soup???

Comment

Lynda- in answer to your question: dunno

Glutton could you post Delia's, I'd love to try another and see which one I like bestest.
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

I'm using Marmite instead of Beef Oxo (being a neurotic vegetarian-type).

I need to use my onions up pronto, as they're starting to sprout in the shed.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X