Special Green Tomato Chutney

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made this chutney yesterday. Absolutely fantastic stuff

Oh and I have never made chutney before ever so dead chuffed. Cut the toms rather than minced and it still worked.
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

• Just made this chutney and burnt the bottom a bit but whatever I got out still tasted ammmmaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzziiiiinnnnnnngggggggggg.

Now to leave the jars for a few months before chomping them all!

Comment

• I don't have 3lbs of green toms... could I substitute anything for say 2lbs of green toms? Maybe courgettes, or something similar?

Comment

• Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
          could I substitute ... courgettes, or something similar?
          of course. Just experiment
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• blighted toms

Does anyone know if the flavour of blighted toms is affected if you cut out the obvious blighted parts? Mine have all been caught by the dreaded tomato blight but someone gave me some of their green toms (from the same allotments) and they are similarly affected.

I made some a few years ago in similar circumstances and it never tasted good but they were probably very under-ripe and it might have been the recipe at fault.

Any comments appreciated.

dinah

Comment

• Cut them in half and have a wiff.
              If they smell odd then bin them cos the food will also be tainted.

I have pickled green toms off blighted plants and used them with no probs- but once the brown mottling appears I think they've had it

Use your nose as a guide

I think it's a matter of use the ones which look and smell fine asap before they become tainted ( which they will)
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I can't wait to try this. Have loads of green tomatoes at the moment.

Quick question: For sealing the jars, are they processed in a boiling water bath? If so, how long?
                http://www.twitter.com/sbeneli

Comment

• no need to process in a bath, I've got some I made last year, it's still fine now.

dinah, I did that last year, if it's only a little bit of mottling, like hard dark brownish areas, cut it off and you can still use them. If it's soft and mushy, don't.
                  Last edited by taff; 15-09-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Just picked all my toms, couldn't be bothered to wait for them to ripen, so have around 600g of green toms. Also picked 4 peopers and two cayennes (again green).

Looking forward to making this tomorrow- going to make up any extra with whatever else I can get- maybe cucumber, or courgette!

Shall let you know how it goes!!

Comment

• We are going to give the GTC a go, the toms and onions are prepped. we will cook these up tomorrow.

WW
                      Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiteWolf View Post
                        We are going to give the GTC a go, the toms and onions are prepped. we will cook these up tomorrow.

WW
                        We did, and we now have 6 jam jars and 2 parfait jars full of lovely browny greeny stuff Looks divine.

TOP TIP TIME - I very rarely use fresh chillis, so as the pack said 'mild' I didn't bother with gloves, and scrubbed my hands twice after chopping the chillis. About an hour later my fingers were ON FIRE and I was in a LOT of pain. WW looked it up in tinternet, and it said lemon juice would counteract the chilli burn. Sceptical but willing to try anything at that stage, I went into the kitchen and poured lemon juice over my poor burny fingers - INSTANT RELIEF!!! I am amazed that my hands aren't swollen today, a little tender but mostly fine.

Nix
                        Last edited by Phoenix; 20-09-2010, 08:07 AM.
                        "If you can see what the plate is made of, the portions are too small." Mrs G.Ogg

Comment

• Just made mine, not very green (I did use courgette though - as I didn't have enough green tomatoes)... I burnt the bottom of a cheapo pan, so it has a sort of caramalised smokey flavour to it (tasted a bit - couldn't resist)... oh well, hope it turns out alright in a month odd... if I give it away I'll just say it's meant ot taste like that!

Smokey Green Tomato & Courgette Chutney ! Boom. Sorted!

I ended up with 6 1lb jars, and a little over 1/2 of a 1lb jar - I did think about using an 8oz jar, but there'd have been a bit left over. Will just use that one up first I guess?

Here's what mine looks like - any chance any of you who used all green tomatoes could attach a pic? I'd like to make it again if it really stays green!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by chris; 22-09-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Chris mine looks about the same colour as yours.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I've made two batches, one is lighter than yours but only just, the other one is a lot lighter. All down to cooking times and how long I left it.

Comment

• Why do you have to leave it a month btw?

I did leave my simmering/on the brink of boiling for a bit too long when I got carried away reading a book.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X