Special Green Tomato Chutney

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
    Why do you have to leave it a month btw?

I did leave my simmering/on the brink of boiling for a bit too long when I got carried away reading a book.
    With chutneys, leaving it a month mellows the vinegar taste. If you eat it too soon, it's still quite sharp. After a few months, it seems to merge into nice flavors. To be fair, this one was so nice straight from the pan we started eating a jar. Not many chutneys I do that for.

Comment

• Ah, thank you.

Comment

• How well do you reckon it would work with whole green currant tomatoes? I pulled up my plants the other day and have an absolute ton of little tiny green tomatoes that I think would be excellent, but I'm not sure if they would just fall to bits or how they would be in it. Any ideas?
        http://www.twitter.com/sbeneli

Comment

• Originally posted by sbeneli View Post
          I'm not sure if they would just fall to bits ?
          Everything falls to bits in a chutney

I made some last night with all the remaining toms and (10) chillies. Still not quite spicy enough for me, so added a tbsp chilli flakes too. Now it's gorgeous
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Just giving this recipe a little bumpitty bump, as I have a huge pan of it on the hob right now. Always goes down well

Comment

• I have 14lbs of green toms in the kitchen. I'll give some of that to my pal's wife and make chutney with 8lbs or so. WOn't do it all in one batch as I did last time though. Took me best part of a day and at one point I thought I'd be up all night cooking the damned stuff. Delish though

Comment

• After soaking the onions and toms overnight in salt do I need to rinse please, or just drain? Thanks
                http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

• As the original post doesn't state how much salt to use, I would think it depends on how much you DID use. Hopefully most of the salt will have dissolved into the liquid you strain off, so maybe tip the veg into a sieve or colander and just give a quick rinse under the tap.

Comment

• Two tablespoons. Says in a post further down And no, I don't rinse, just squeeze out as much liquid as possible.

Comment

• I did that this time AP, did a double batch and ended up having to put a teatowel over the pan and finish it off the next day

Comment

• Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                        I did that this time AP, did a double batch and ended up having to put a teatowel over the pan and finish it off the next day
                        I thought I would Bu@@@r up mine so I just kept boiling and stirring and boiling and stirring and and .................... and. If I'd known I could have left it and started up again the next day I would have done so. I do love learning processes .

I now feel for anyone who makes the same mistake.

Comment

• Made this the other night smelt great and tasted extremely nice upon jarring. Can't wait until it is matured. Yum. I think the 24 hour pre-festering phase must help flavour develop!
                          While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by daviddevantnhisspiritwife View Post
                            What in Swansea am going on here!
                            Not a lot, pontardawe breath....or was it abertillery breath?

so so funny...funny even now....

I found it needed more chilli when i made it [and when I've re-made it...], needed a bit more of a kick....bloomin nice though.

Comment

• I must dig out my Absolutely DVD set.

Gwynedd: If you didn't want children, you should have taken the proper precautions.

Denzil: Gwynedd, Gwynedd, Gwynedd. I took the precaution of marrying the most repulsive woman in Swansea......
                              Yes I put quite a lot of chilli in mine. It was quite hot when I jarred it, so might give a bit of mouth burn when it's matured!
                              While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

• I was looking for chutney and guess where I ended up?!
                                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X