No announcement yet.

Royal Fudge - Nice for a Present

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS, I think this would work with just about any kind of nut that didn't need cooking, and maybe even with boiled chestnuts, so unless there are allergies to all of them...... For the purposes of the recipe sunflower seeds are nuts as well.
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Thanks, that's great to have - my brother in law is vegan so that'll go down a treat if needed as a stocking filler!

Comment

btw, is that 400g of condensed soya milk, or 400ml?

Comment

Hilary B- sadly it's a complete nut allergy but semolinda marzipan works just fine cake has been covered & drying out as we speak.

Chrismarks- it's 400g, equivilant to a 397g tin of carnation

The fun i'm having today, boiling a ham while preparing vegan xmas biscuits
          meanwhile the cat has chewed all the present ribbon & stolen the shredded paper from the gift baskets, i do love xmas

Comment

I've just made the Royal Fudge, but replaced the water with hazlenut liqueur (Aldi). It didn't work well, it stuck to the pan and went all crystally/crumbly. Not great
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-12-2010, 11:11 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My brother and I made a batch last night - using Sarz's recipe which I can't find now but I wrote it in my little book. It has a large tin of evaporated milk, sugar, butter and vanilla.
              It really worked well - at the cooling stage, before the frantic stirring, it really helped to put the pan in the snow outside!!! With two of us doing the stirring, in shifts,we now have a lovely batch of smooth caramel-y fudge. (Boast boast)
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I've made both versions this year Jeanie, the evaporated milk one, and the 'royal fudge' from the first post on this thread. My conclusions are; the evaporated milk one is easier in that the sugar dissolves more easily, and it's less likely to burn, but it needs to boil for a lot longer; the royal fudge is tastier, and cooks faster, but the sugar takes ages to dissolve and is beggar to prevent from catching on the pan.

Evaporated milk fudge:

‎2lb of sugar
                8oz butter
                Large tin evaporated milk
                Water (quarter the volume of milk)
                Vanilla

Place all ingredients in heavy bottomed pan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and boil until mixture is thick and pale brown - 114 - 118c - soft ball stage. Remove from heat and cool 2-3 minutes, then beat with a wooden spoon until your arm falls off, then pour into buttered swiss roll tin to set.

Comment

Made some today, it was dead simple - 700g sugar, 200g butter and 600ml of milk (I think). Gently warmed until the sugar disolved and the butter melted (did it in my maslin pan to reduce chance of burning etc), then brought it up to boiling for about 15 to 20 mins. Turned the heat off, added some chopped chocolate and stirred like mad for about 10 mins. Poured it into a tin to cool and it's now in bags for Christmas hampers. Was expecting it to take much longer but acutally it was a doddle.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I made some fudge for my nan last night using Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's recipe from his Everyday cookbook. There's no milk in it, he uses double cream.

It was easier than I thought it would be, and tastes delicious. He does use a jam thermometer to get the temperature right.

Can't find a link to the recipe online though.
                    Last edited by Jono; 23-12-2010, 04:19 PM.
                    Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Aaarrgghhhh, have ended up with a pan full of sludge... my recipe had a muddle in it and not spotted til half way through. Ingredients went in with condensed milk... then half way through cooking it changed its mind to evaporated milk.

Grainy pan of thick goo - any ideas to rescue it?

have made loads of fudge before, but this one was a new recipe - guess I should stick to my tried and tested!

Comment

Mine has been a disaster too! I tried the royal fudge recipe and it has gone rock hard although it tastes fab - the kids are loving it on their ice cream at the mo but i can't give that to friends. I will give it another go later...

Comment

Janey, just saw this and I would say boil it for longer, but probly too late

Scarlet, might be a combination of boiled too long, and not properly dissolved sugar - make sure you scrape all the undissolved crystals off the side of the pan too. It sounds like you've ended up with something like the Scottish 'Tablet', google it, if it's got a name, you can still use it

Comment

Honeycomb's definately easier!.....but I've made my first batch of fudge (sure I must've attempted it years ago,but never had any success)

For anyone making it for the first time ever....not sure if they were meant to be there but for the first ten mins or so lots of charred lumps formed...I nearly gave up thinking I'd burnt it all but 25 mins later and it's setting nicely in the tin(and I've had a couple of tastes and not noticed any charred bits )
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

bumped, for it's Fudge Time again. Here's JaneyO's version too: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...dge_41426.html
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 13-12-2011, 04:53 PM.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Okie dokie - Just got this to the simmer stage! Fingers crossed!
                                http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X