Jus-Roll / Saxby

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrefour sell it??...whohooo...I'll be trying it out then!!..thanks

I used to buy Saxby...nice and light and fine...the Just- rol is hard and dry...absolutely not the same recipe.

I tried making puff pastry on a few occasions and decided mine was rubbish- esp after all the folding and rolling and effort put in to it!
    Now short pastry on the other hand...
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have made my own puff pastry, and yes it is a faff, but when you look at the list of ingredients on the Jus-Rol box - Wheat flour, water, vegetable oil, salt, emulsifier: Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate. Contains Wheat Ingredients.

No mention of butter, which I always thought was one of the main ingredients.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by killjoy View Post
        Not being able to get Saxby puff pastry anywhere I looked them up on the internet and got directed to the Jus Roll site. So I phoned Jus Roll who said that they had incorporated saxby within the one company and that they were using Saxby's recipe.

I am sure there is a difference between Jus-Roll and the Saxby; has anyone else noticed he difference?
        Yes indeed indeedy. I had always preferred the Saxby's pastry to my own homemade so when after several disappointments I complained to Jus'rol they sent me a wad of vouchers to redeem. In my opinion their short pastry is rubbish and I have since perfected my own. All's well that ends well. btw I still buy the puff variety.

Comment

Think I've said it earlier in this plot but don't really see much point in buying short crust as it's so easy and quick to make (although do sometimes make double and freeze on part for later use) but every few years when I decide to make puff pastry I remember why I usually buy the stuff - takes forever and just doesn't seem as nice. Actually that reminds me, must be due for another attempt so must remember to read this thread on Christmas Eve when I start making the stuff for sausage rolls

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I bought some Jus Roll shortcrust pastry as I am a pastry novice and had to bin two lots. It wouldn't roll out without cracking. It was supposed to be for a pie case, but you couldn't have got a mince pie out of it. I complained via email but have heard nothing back.

Comment

Well, I've bought a pack of Sainsbury's Taste the Difference 'All butter puff pastry'.

The ingredients are: Wheat flour, Butter (from cow's milk) water, lemon juice and salt.

Sounds promising.

valmarg

Comment

I'm hoping I can find some of that shortcrust mix to take to Spain with me, because the one bit I have trouble with is rubbing in the fat, and OH wants home made mince pies this year (I usually buy him some of the best quality shop ones).
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

There certainly IS a difference. Saxbys was good, Jus-Roll is not. I'll have to go back to making my own.
                  Tesco does all-butter puff pastry which is good but a bit expensive.

Comment

Saxbys Pastry

As you probably know, Saxbys was bought by Jusroll. I completely agree with those who say that Jusroll is still noweher near as good. However, good news, the Saxbys people have started up again.
                    They sell their pastry into supermarkets including Sainsbury, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, M&S under their own supermarket brand. I hope this is helpful.
                    Last edited by veggiechicken; 19-12-2018, 05:06 PM. Reason: Website link removed.

Comment

Hi Carolyn and welcome. This is a very old thread - nobody has posted on it for 7 years!
                      I've removed the website link as I'm sure people can find it if needed. Thanks.

Comment

My mum uses a lot of ready-made stuff and as I do online shopping for her, I've just had a look at Sainsbury's website. If everyone liked Saxby pastry before and Sainsbury's own-brand is Saxby, they must have changed the recipe, as it doesn't seem to be going down so well now. Still, nice to be reminded of my gran, who used to make the most amazing puff pastry. Perhaps I should try. I've got perishing cold hands at the moment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X