Mint Jelly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mint Jelly

Does anyone have a recipe for Mint jelly? We are being over run by the stuff and I'd love to get my revenge on it by smearing it all over the weekly roast!

Hi I think I have a recipe somewhere. It depends on whether you want a gelatine based jelly, possibly substitued with agar leaves or a fruit juice based jelly. Will have a hunt through because I'm sure my mother gave me one a couple of years ago.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

To be honest I don't really know which sort I'd prefer...not having done any jellys before I don't know which works best.
      I guess I was thinking along the fruit lines but I'd be open to recipes of either sort.

Comment

I make mint jelly by using Bramlet apples as a base. I use about four large Bramleys wihich I cut into rough chunks (no need to peel or anything) I place in a saucepan with the juice of one large lemon (cut up the peel and throw that in as well), cook until the apple is all soft and mushy. You then strain it through a jelly bag or a piece of muslin or thin cotton in a sieve. The conventional wisdom is not to push it through at all as you'll get a cloudy jelly but just to let it drip through overnight. I do normally give it the odd stir and it doesn't seem to make much difference. You then measure the liquid and add the same volume of sugar (I don't use jam sugar and think there's enough pectin in the apple to set it, but you could if you wanted to) Dissolve the sugar and then boil rapidly. Test by spooning a little onto a cold plate, if it wrinkles its done, if not keep boiling. (I generally start testing after 5 or so minutes but I am the impatient sort.) When it reaches setting point add as much chopped mint as you want. (it does need to be dry, so if you've washed it leave it on paper towels to dry completely) I add about 2 cups of it. give it a stir and then pour into sterilized jars, I find little ones are best as then you can use a whole one in one go or so. You can also add a splash of sherry with the mint it you desire.
        Have fun

Comment

Thanks Blackkitty...doesn't sound to hard. I might have a go this weekend!

Comment

MissyMoo, I would slightly disagree with blackkitty, on the addition of lemon juice to the boiled apples. There should be enough pectin from the apples (particularly bramleys), without the need to add lemon juice. The other thing I do is to add a big bunch of mint to the original boiling up of the apples, ie double-mint jelly.

Otherwise I would follow blackkitty's receipt.

valmarg

Comment

Hi try good food.com it is vvv good because of there is a recipe search put in mint jelly and wham bam
              Hi! Please look at my 'brilliant' site about dolls houses and miniatures! I can always use new members, not matter how much you visit or not! Also, the more members I get the more things I can put on, so go on, do me a favor and at least look!
              http://dollshousebeginner.page.tl/

Comment

If you feeling really lazy you could use shop bought pectin, the one I use is apple based and organic, does the job for making jam and I am sure you could adapt for jelly.

Good range here

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can7_jam_jelly.html
                --
                http://gardenfan.blogspot.com

Comment

Thinking about it, if you have a breadmachine then with a little bit of experimention you could use a breadmachine to help you make this using the jam setting. I used mine for all my jams and they came out perfect. If did this I would make the mint water first, then add to the machine with sugar and pectin and some additional fresh chopped mint as well. Hmmm must finish my chutney making first but been wondering what to do with my mint
                  --
                  http://gardenfan.blogspot.com

Comment

oooh never thought of using the bread machine. If you try this GardenFan let us know how it goes.

Comment

My mint is looking pretty old and tough- when is the best time of the year to make mint jelly- is it sweeter earlier in the year? I like the sound of it although never had any.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I made apple and mint jelly last week. The mint was looking scraggly and old and the stalks were bvery tough but the leaves are normally fine. The only issue is it takes longer to pick enough leaves!!!
                        I think the best time to pick is when they are very young, you can use the whole thing then

Comment

Hi xspye and nicos. Yes it is better in the year. Most green leafy herbs are better flavoured and "softer" before flowering, after that as you have found the stems in particular get very tough and the whole thing looks very sorry for itself. Also earlier in the year you are less likely to have problems with tortrix moth and other caterpillars and having to pick lots of chewed, twisted bits off.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X