overgrown courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overgrown courgettes

any ideas what i can make other than soup i have about 6 very very large ones!

pickle them....al la Jamie Oliver.....very nice!!
    Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
    Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
    Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

I had the same problem so I made half a batch of chutney to use a few up. I used this recipe and chucked in some extra spices & some chillies for a bit of a kick... not sure if i'll be able to wait 3 months to try it though! Recipe for Courgette Chutney | Allotment Growing Recipes

I've also chopped up and frozen some- bit dubious how it'll turn out but thought i'd give it a go and i'm planning on doing like a small stuffed marrow for tea tomorrow, not sure what i'm stuffing it with yet though!

Comment

I've been slowly cooking them in olive oil and mint and then freezing them!

Comment

Pick them smaller - they are less seedy.

They go into loads of our daily dishes - soups as mentioned, pasta sauces, curries, they get roasted and are served with salads, rice or spuds.

I specially grow yellow courgettes for Nigella's Happiness soup - I've never had enough to make it solely with yellow ones though - but saturday is the day as we now have enough on the plant to make a full soup. Yippee!!!

Comment

Last year PH invented courgette 'lasagne' - and slices of large courgette would work very well. Basically, use slices of courgette cooked with some onion and tomato instead of the meat in a lasagne. I'm afraid I didn't work out particular quantities, just used what I had to hand.
            Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Stuff 'em!
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

they are actually really good for bulking out meat in lasagne and spag bol sauce, grate them and they "disappear" great for getting veg into teh little g!ts!!

My mum makes jam with marrow and ginger, you could do that. She also cooks marrow cubed, with butter, onion , salt and pepper it;s lovely wioth a roast.

You can cube marrow or courgette and layer with very thinly sliced onion, tomato and herbs (dot with butter every couple of layers and season genorously) in a casserole cover and cook iun a moderate oven (gas 3ish) for 2-3 hours. You can top with breadcrumbs and cheese too.

or just stuff em!

Comment

[QUOTE=zazen999;264412]Pick them smaller - they are less seedy. QUOTE] Yes, I agree, but I was only on the lottie Monday night and I went again today and I have monster courgettes (AKA Marrows). Nothing left on Monday except flower buds.

Comment

Marrow rum
                    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

courgette choc cake i saw on a previous thread sounded yummy. dont see why you couldnt use a large one just scoop a bit of the centre out if a bit seedy.

Comment

Courgette quiche with tomatoes. I use in my shepherds pie with carrots that always goes down well, doing one tonight when I get out in the rain and grab a few.
                        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

i took half a dozen over grown courgettes into work and today one of them had been transformed into a courgette cake and very yummy it was to

Comment

I peel, slice and steam them then layer them up in a casserole dish (with skinned sliced tomatoes if you've got a glut of them too) with grated cheddar. Finish top layer with cheddar and breadcrumbs (you can add a bit of dry mustard or some chopped sage here) . Bake for about 15 mins in medium oven. Serve with anything you like. We had it with beans yesterday, and steamed spuds.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Magnificent Marrow(Vegararian Cooking Roz Denny and Christine Ingram)

Serves 4-6

8oz. pasta shells
                              1 onion, chopped
                              1 pepper, seeded and chopped
                              1 tbsn root ginger, grated
                              2 garlic cloves, crushed
                              3 tbspns oil
                              4 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
                              salt and peper
                              half oz. pine nuts
                              A few basil leaves, chopped
                              Grated cheese(optional)
                              1 3-4lb marrow(or a couple of overgrown courgettes?)

Heat oven to 190c, 375f, gas mark 5
                              Boil pasta 'til soft (i.e overcooked) drain and reserve
                              Cut marrow in half, lengthways and scoop out seeds,discard, use a small sharp knife and a spoon to scoop out flesh, chop flesh roughly
                              Gently fry onion,pepper,ginger and garlic in oil for 5 mins
                              Add marrow flesh,tomatoes and seasoning. Cover and cook for 10-12 mins. until soft. Add pasta,pine nuts and basil,stir well and set aside.
                              Place marrow shells in a roasting pan, season lightly and por a little water around the marrows, taking care not to spill it inside. Cover with foil and bake for 15 mins.
                              Remove foil, discard water and fill shells with mixture.
                              Cover again with the foil and put in oven for another 20-25 mins.
                              Top with grated cheese if you wish and either cut into slices or scoop from shells.

I can recommend this, it is lovely!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X