Going on a diet...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Kirsty,

I've lost 3lbs since last Sat. I usually find the first few pounds shift quickly because I lose a lot of water to start. We're going to my nieces wedding end of May. It would be nice to fit in the lovely dress I've got hanging in the wardrobe. I can't zip it up at the moment.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

I'll be happy to lose about a pound a week. I've set a target to lose 2st 6lb by this time next year. Slow n steady for me!
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Seeing as quite a few of ya like your wine etc I thought Id quote the following, if you life cider, have you tried Magners Light Cider, same alcohol content but only 85 Kcals I think!
        "Dry wine contains fewer calories than sweet: 106 calories for 5 ounces of dry wine and a whopping 226 calories for 5 ounces of sweet dessert wine (without the chocolate mousse). If you drink a glass of wine before dinner, another glass with dinner and a sweet wine for dessert, you've added more than 400 calories to your meal"

"Three glasses of dry wine a week will cost you 318 calories, or an additional three miles on the treadmill just to walk off the extra calories. If you're watching your weight, try this advice:

Don't drink alcohol on a regular basis.

Remember that the calories from alcohol add up quickly, and they go straight to the fat in your abdomen.

Most people eat high calorie snacks when they drink alcohol, a double whammy in terms of weight gain.
        Suddenly, water with a twist of lemon never looked so good."

Comment

Thanks Angeleyezx

Last week I just had 2 bottles of wine spread over the whole week. Tonight was water. I know what you mean about it going straight to your abdomen. I feel a difference there already.

Michael Pollan

Comment

I wasn't too bad over the weekend - not too much snacking, but I did have a whole bottle of wine to myself on Sat, so that won't have helped. Am a bit of a yoyo just at the minute, but I did lose the half pound this week that I had gained last week. Will be back on track in a few weeks when the thesis is handed in (until then, I am still going to class to get weighed and listen, but not doing much to actively diet, IYKWIM).

Comment

I was very bad over the weekend as I couldn't resist a roast dinner on Sunday. Now I will have to work even harder this week to shift a couple of pounds.

I really look forward to my Sunday roast has anyone any suggestions for keeping the calories down?

Comment

OOh thats a hard one as I love a roast too! How about spray oil for the roast potatoes, my sis swears by it.
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by borage View Post
                  I really look forward to my Sunday roast has anyone any suggestions for keeping the calories down?
                  • cut the fat/skin off your meat
                  • don't make gravy from fat - red wine sauce is a nice alternative
                  • smaller portions of meat and potatoes
                  • larger portions of veg, steamed no butter. Or dry roast in with the spuds
                  • 'dry' roast your spuds: put a small amount of oil in the roasting tin, & heat it up before adding par-boiled spuds.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Guys for all of the motivational stories......They all sound very familiar. Im also gulty of wine abuse and I work from home. Until last year I walked the dog for an hour twice a day and although I was still overweight it was controlled. Unfortunately we lost Sasha in August and since then I have no real need to even leave the house. Its feels almost wrong to go for a walk on your own and hence more weight has piled on. I have been chomping at the bit to get out to the veggie beds and get going and to be honest I've planted way to many seeds far to early in my eagerness. I have however found a really good, filling snack to take out with me - bean sprout wraps. You can buy small tortilla wraps in most supermarkets now, but you could use pitta, normal bread or even forgo this bit all together. Use a teaspoon of low fat yogurt, or, if like me you make a tonne of chutney every year, a spoonful of this. Spread it over the wrap and fill it up with a handful of bean sprouts. I was surprised to find it tastes wonderful and you can add a bit of tomato or a small grating of cheese when you want a change. Personally I wouldn't buy bean sprouts as fresh homegrown ones have a better flavour and crunch. I use alfalfa, mung bean, Radish Daikon, Broccolli Green and even peanut sprouts in jam jars grown under the sink. Use some muslin over the top of the jar tied on with elastic and this makes washing the sprouts easy.

Give em a go!

Hope this helps and good luck to all of you.

Carleen
                    Last edited by carleen; 08-04-2008, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks Kirsty b and Two sheds will try the dry roast and spray oil roast pots and see how I get on.

Wouldn't have thought of red wine sauce as an alternative to gravy, thats also been added to the list of things to try.

Comment

Just wanted to share that I didn't get to my weight loss class last week as both my boys were ill and I was rushing aorund like a blue a**** fly looking after them... and this week I have lost 5 lbs!
                        Main differene the past few weeks has been having one roll for lunch instead of 2, or oen wrap, with salad instead of crisps.

That makes 35lbs so far! Less than a stone til goal! whoooohoooooo

janeyo

Comment

Well done Janeyo!!

Not going to class til tomorrow myself, but was almost back on track last week (had lost the half pound put up the previous week, so only half a pound above previous best, about 4 weeks ago - went up 5, down 4.5, up .5 and down .5 since!) so should be back into proper loss mode this week I hope.

Comment

Trust Two Sheds - she's slim!
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Trigger Foods

Do you have any foods that can trigger you to eat more than you should?

One of mine are Pringles, impossible to have just a few .

Michael Pollan

Comment

Have had some bad news that has caused me to comfort eat over the last couple of nights.

Right on about pringles though. One is too many and two are not enough!!
                                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X