No announcement yet.

Saving time in the kitchen.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only time I use a garlic press is on those tiny cloves you get in home grown bulbs. Too fiddly to peel and too tasty to waste, two or three will crush at a time, the flesh comes out and leaves the skin behind.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

In terms of usage...
      - halogen oven/ air fryer, I use mine every day for either cooking the meat, roasting veg or both
      - toaster - can't be without one
      - percolator, love that machine
      - Kenwood mixer for when I make bread, at least every other weekend
      - slow cooker for batch cooking

I have a food processor too, but don't use it so often now.

I am pondering treating myself to an 'Instant pot', as it steams veg under pressure in less than a minute, roasts a chicken in ten, and still works as a slow cooker and you can sear meat in it.
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot.../dp/B00OP26T4K
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I dont use a huge ammount of gadgets.
        In the past I probably had them all but gave a lot of them to my daughter.
        I do constantly use my slow cooker..
        My Kenwood blender gets a lot of use as well.
        OH uses the toaster and the sandwich maker.
        The air fryer also gets used on a regular basis.
        I couldn't be bothered with gadgets that would need hours to clean.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Knives I have a few! Wander round the kitchen ware in the shops and go OHHH look a banana slicer. Him indoors says "won't a knife do it quicker and easier and be easier to wash up? and anyway an egg/tomato/avocado won't fit so you'll need each something for those... and the........" So knife!

Mandolin graters.
          Stick blender/ whisk/ small spice grinder in 1.
          Hand mixer - for cakes and bread which I like to knead by hand.
          microwave/toaster/kettle
          Slow cooker
          BBQ
          Last purchase- food dehydrator, so far used for biltong and drying tomatoes.

I have both a food processor and a very old kenwood both with loads of attachments. They only tend to come out of the cupboard at christmas or other occasions I may be cooking for 12+
          The pressure cooker is mainly used as a large pot for cooking preserves
          don't drink coffee so re-gifted the pod machine I was given for christmas on year (from family too!!!?)
          toasted sandwich maker and standalone liquidiser off to the dump.

Thinking about a multicooker/instant pot type thing except 1.price! 2. will have to lose something out of the cupboards to make room.
          V.P.
          The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

I use my kitchen aid a lot for making bread so much so that I will probably recycle my bread maker.

The food processor I got one that looks pretty enough to keep on the counter which means less faff getting it out so I use it more.

I use pressure cooker a lot for cooking pulses and sterilising. It’s also good for stews if you don’t have time for a slow cooker.

Stick blender gets used for soups and nutribullet for smoothies or small batches of batters or spice grinding.
            Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
            Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
            Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
            Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

My most used items are a triple height hob steamer. A small paring knife.A bread knife which I use for chopping other things too as I find it doesn't 'skid' when trying to cut into things.My stick blender. An electric kettle which swivels on its base.A really large thick based pan which can just fit in the oven too. A very large oval Le creuset pan (which is heavy even when empty!) The microwave.Loads of Pyrex bowls.
              The large 90 cm wide oven. Handmixer. BBQ .Dishwasher . Stainless steel jam pot.
              Oh...and my OH as his hobby is cooking

I'll have to rummage through my cupboards to remember what I don't use!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
                For me one of the best inventions of all time is the slow cooker.

The George isn't bad either.

Most other gadgets are infrequently used.

As for manual gadgets my favourite is my ice cream scoop, I use it to batch/freeze mash potatoes
                The irony of this is I'd ordered a spiralizer which arrived yesterday
                Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                  I am pondering treating myself to an 'Instant pot', as it steams veg under pressure in less than a minute, roasts a chicken in ten, and still works as a slow cooker and you can sear meat in it.
                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot.../dp/B00OP26T4K
                  Check out cooking times online. Those seem very optimistic to me, unless you're talking broccoli and a minuscule chicken. But they do seem to be fantastic gadgets.

Comment

And, Mrs B went to our sons house (our old house) Wed till today and brought back the bread maker. I said we'd give it another go and if we don't use it charity shop
                    Cheers

Danny

Comment

I don't use mine regularly except when I'm dieting...and for that it's absolutely brill
                      I could live without it but am pleased with the results

Comment

I like my spiralizer its handy for finely slicing onions then carrots spirals are good in omelettes and salads its a bit of a pain to wash though.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I hadn't thought about onions!
                          Sometimes I think I need to get outside my box and see how other peeps do things!

Good thread by the way!

Comment

Kettle, toaster and microwave used most days.I tend to batch cook when I have a free weekend, then dinner is just 4mins on high on weeknights.

Liquidizer used regularly for soups (great for work lunches ), ditto pressure cooker

Food processor, dehydrator, hand held cake mixer, bread maker, icecream maker (freecycle again) get used intermittently, in that order.

Slow cooker was given away as I so rarely used it!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                              Check out cooking times online. Those seem very optimistic to me, unless you're talking broccoli and a minuscule chicken. But they do seem to be fantastic gadgets.
                              I agree, and I will... It's a friend of mine that has given me those times, and she's a massive foodie. My air fryer from B&M does a small chicken in 15 minutes and there's no pressure in that - just a halogen element, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Instant pot is quicker. Still, it's an investment to buy, so I will definitely check up on the cooking times first
                              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

^There are tons of recipes on the web, as every American household seems to have an Instant Pot. I often use Instant Pot recipes for my pressure cooker. A 2 kg chicken takes me about 22 minutes at pressure in one of my pressure cookers. Not including browning in advance, bringing to pressure and depressurising. I'm guessing that that wouldn't fit in an Instant Pot unless you got one of the big ones. I live off grid, so an Instant Pot is an impossibility. But if I had mains electricity, I'd definitely have bought one. Much easier to use than a conventional pressure cooker as you programme, press button and walk away while it does everything. No need to worry about has it reached pressure, how long, what about depressurising, etc. A chicken in a pressure cooker is a surprise. I still haven't got used to how succulent it comes out. The skin stays brown from pre-browning, but it isn't crispy. Maybe the Instant Pot has a programme for that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X