No announcement yet.

I'm after a food mixer / stand mixer / whatever they're called and need advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably five or six years old now. But my mum had a very similar one to the one you linked on fleabay, but that had a metal bowl too!
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hot water in the bowl, and a little spray or two of WD40 at the bottom of the bowl finally did the trick! And it unscrews anti-clockwise, for future reference lol

Comment

As you probably know, I have treated myself to a Kenwood, well, Himself finished up paying for it and cakes and bread are ok, but I'm struggling to make short crust pastry as good as my hand made, what proportions do folk use? I've tried in the processor too with the same result and it's a faff getting the processor out. Help please
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I've not tried doing short crust pastry in the Kenwood, because it needs so little working, I'd be worried to over-work it. Processors definitely would overwork it for my liking.

Comment

Slow speed was recommended S, and it does work, but I'm sure it would be better if I could get the ratio of fat to flour right

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
              Hot water in the bowl, and a little spray or two of WD40 at the bottom of the bowl finally did the trick! And it unscrews anti-clockwise, for future reference lol
              I'll remember, just in case.

Comment

I don't add the liquid to the mixer in case of overworking, I do that bit by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                  Slow speed was recommended S, and it does work, but I'm sure it would be better if I could get the ratio of fat to flour right
                  Out of interest, what recipe are you using? Is it because the fat gets warm while you're cutting it into the flour? Might you need less water because of that?

Comment

Usual half fat to flour Snoop - fat straight from the fridge cut into small pieces - it's the crumb stage I can't seem to get right. I add an egg and a little water to my hand mix, so have done the same.

Comment

^Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I found this:
                      https://www.nigella.com/ask/shortcru...try-by-machine

Comment

That's the latest one I've found too Snoop, so I used it this afternoon. I used Trex and Stork, but the Stork was in a tub - I'll try cubes cut from a block next time. If I can get it right it will be great - I'm tasked with making a lot of pastry!

Comment

I'm afraid I use all butter in pastry. Not very healthy I guess. I make it in a food processor. Maybe I don't know what good pastry is supposed to be like!

Comment

I'm sure it's lovely Snoop - I just stick to what my mum used to do. Lard is as good as Trex - cheaper and just as unhealthy

Comment

I use slightly less than half fat to flour probably 8oz flour to 3oz fat, the fats half lard half block cooking marg. Waters added when the bowls removed from my Kenwood.
                              This seems to work well for me.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Bren, I'll try that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X