Red Onion Marmalade

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alice View Post
    TEB, I think the tall sided saucepan is so that you can boil it to a reduction without splashing the sugar mixture all over the cooker.
    Thanks but this was a professional chef, she didnt worry about things like that, I was thinking it may have something to do with the evaporation of the alchol

Comment

Professional chef or not, you don't want to have to clean up caramellised sugar set to the top of the cooker Plus there's the burn risk.
      I made it in my jam pan, same as I do all my preserve type stuff

Just for reference for anyone else making it, with PW's quantities I have ended up with 4 ½lb jars and a bit over

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
        TEB, I think the tall sided saucepan is so that you can boil it to a reduction without splashing the sugar mixture all over the cooker.
        The reason I found is the sliced onions take up a lot of space till it renders down if you had a shallow pan you would have to keep feeding the onions in a bit at a time and you would not get an even cooking.

Comment

I'm just in the middle of some more of this, using my bolted reds. Because you have to lose the middle of them (flower stalk), I chopped an ordinary large red and weighed it to make sure I had the right quantities. It was 230g once sliced so I reckon you need about 1200 - 1500g of sliced onion in total.

Comment

i cant wait to try this recipe...i got loads of white onions in lidl the other day for 24p a net so im going to attempt to make it as soon as my new preserving pan arrives at the weekend....lol
            thanks for the recipe

Comment

I have this simmering in the kitchen, I have tasted a bit and it is lovely. I am umming and ahhing about adding a chilli or two......

It tastes like it will take it, but then it is extremely nice as is! decisions, decisions!

Thank you Piglet Willie!
              Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Made double this recipe yesterday with Lidl's half price red onions. It looks fine, but is it meant to be so tooth-achingly sweet? Perhaps that aspect of it reduces as it matures, or perhaps I'm expecting it to be of the same order of sweetness as a chutney.
                Off to the croft today to see if there are any brambles worth collecting - rowans too - oh I love this time of year!

Comment

Going to have a go at making this, as have managed to accumulate lots of onions for some reason.... got my jars ready!

Comment

Originally posted by annacruachan View Post
                    Made double this recipe yesterday with Lidl's half price red onions. It looks fine, but is it meant to be so tooth-achingly sweet? Perhaps that aspect of it reduces as it matures, or perhaps I'm expecting it to be of the same order of sweetness as a chutney.
                    Off to the croft today to see if there are any brambles worth collecting - rowans too - oh I love this time of year!
                    I think it's meant to be sweet, that's why it's 'Marmalade' rather than 'chutney'. My OH has decided he's not keen on it being soo sweet, so most of ours will be going in Christmas hampers

I think if you wanted a similar thing but less sweet, you could follow a chutney recipe but just replace all the produce ingredients with onion, but using the same quantities of vinegar and sugar.

I'd like to enter a jar of the Marmalade in the village show, but, would you put it in the chutney section, or the jam section??!

Comment

I use Lord Hugh's recipe every time and I always seem to make it work ok.
                      Never quite toothachingly sweet, but then again I have a shocking sweet tooth, so perhaps it really is and I just havent realised.
                      Bob Leponge
                      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Is Lord Hugh's version on the forum somewhere, Bob? I'd like to try a less sweet recipe, though DH loves it and it will all be gone soon anyway. We don't seem to be able to keep anything long enough for it to mature!

Comment

well i over cooked my first batch and caramalised the onions...lol....you learn so ive got another batch on the go now
                          how much is 3 cups of red wine vinegar.....1and 1/4 pints?

Comment

well ive made it again i so wish there was a picture of how its supposed to look like im so not sure if ive reduced it enough but i reduced it too much lost time...lol....oh well i eat it anyway...lol

Comment

ive just opened mine after 2 months and its lovely and yes its sweet but i love sweet things with a bad sweet tooth
                              im off to make some more this weekend
                              re onions are down to 39p a net in lidls again if anyone fancies making it

Comment

Has anyone kindly worked out how much 6 large onions weigh as my reds are efinately not large.If anyone has can they let us in on it. I am all prepared to start making a batch at the first opportunity. has anyone tried using brown sugar for a caramalised taste or do you already get that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X