Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

too many tomatoes - what can i do with them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oooo.....I've just realised I did a different one, how dim am I? I did the tomato and sweet chilli jam one...whoopee!!! I can make more with extra chillies

Comment

Ketchup recipe? hmm, hang on, i adapted these ones a bit.....

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...mag_21702.html

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...hup_25850.html

Roasted a load of toms in hot oven for 30 mins (brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper)

Let em cool, meanwhile lightly fry 2 large onions and a whole bulb of garlic in a large pan (until translucent)

Remove the toms from the juice and add whole to onion pan. Heat to boiling.

Add 200ml vinegar, 450grams sugar, allspice (teaspoon), coriander (1/2 tsp), basil (1/4 teaspoon), cayenne pepper (teaspoon), a dash of worcestershire sauce, a dash of balsamic vinegar, more black pepper and salt to tast and boil for 30 mins.

Once cooked to a consistency you like, put into a food blender and blitz it all todether!

Prep your jars, put ketchup into jars and place in water bath to sterilize for 20 mins before sealing!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
        Taff, I just made a 2 litre batch of the sweet chilli sauce, my gods, tis gorgeous!! I didnt have the Nam Pla sauce, so I left it out and added a bit of balsamic vinegar to the mix, seemed to work fine!

I also made 2 1/2 litres of ketchup and a gallon and a half of pasta sauce!

And for an encore Im making a gallon of the roast tomato soup now!

Feeling like a domestic goddess atm! Lol!

Being a modern man, I have a turn at cooking once a week.
        So tonight for starters, we had Mrs TK's (aka GG) Sweet Chilli Sauce with battered prawns.
        I have to say that it was even better than a well known brand that we usually use. It was wonderful!
        Sometimes I complain a little about the constant smell of some sauce or preserves being cooked, but Mrs TK certainly has got this one right, so from the horse's mouth as it were, try it. I can thoroughly recommend it!
        Attached Files
        Mr TK's blog:
        http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
        2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Edit - found what I was looking for!
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 16-09-2010, 07:23 PM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Tomatoking View Post
            I can thoroughly recommend it!
            Made some last night, it was good even then...I may have slightly overdone the chillies though...*cough cough splutter*

Comment

I made the HFW ketchup, used 4 kilos of toms and got two and a half jam jars of ketchup after four hours cooking. Tastes gorgeous, but it sure isn't economical

Comment

I will also give a big up to the HFW tommy k recipe. Probably not economical but a thousand times better than even Heinz which I loved beforehand.
                Bob Leponge
                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post

This sauce is hotter than the commercial stuff so adjust to your taste. Leave for a month to mature - be ready for Christmas in plenty of time and will keep for at least six months.
                  No kidding!! I made with two thirds the amount of chilli and it is like rocket fuel
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X