No announcement yet.

Rosehips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody needs 'A Smart Arse' after the event, obviously, which is why I always like to magically appear and pretend to know what I'm talking about.....(!)
    but actually it IS out of the kindness of my heart to share this with you, because it's a recipe that I devised in the Autumn of 2010 with too many apples, and too many rosehips, and you can use it cold as traditional squash, or, in the colder months of right now, like I'm doing, as a Hot Toddy at any time of the day instead of tea or coffee, and then later, if you wish, when you're up to your armpits with flu, with a shot of Ginger Wine and/or Whisky or a shot of your own home-made Gorgeousness in A Bottle. And if you've got any left over towards the summer, mix it 50:50 with water and make it into ice lollies..... Simples!

And here's how I made mine:

A kilo of Crab Apples (but you could use Bramleys if you aren't growing Crabs) and likewise of wild rosehips, adding a litre of water. Bring slowly to the boil, crushing the fruit with a potato masher, and cook gently until the fruit is soft and juices flowing.
    Remove from the heat.
    Scald a jelly bag and suspend over a large bowl. Tip the fruit into it and leave to drip overnight.

Measure the resulting juice and pour into a clean pan. For every 1 litre juice, add 500g-700g sugar (to taste). Heat the mixture gently to dissolve the sugar, then remove from the heat. Pour immediately into warm, sterilised bottles.
    This'll keep for approximately 4 months.
    If like me, you want it to keep for up to a year, you'll need to process it via 'The Water Bath Method' in order to sterilise it, so look that up children if you need to please.

I'm here to tell you, you're going to want to make this time and time again my friends.X

Comment

Rose Hips.

I have access to a large amount of rose hips and am wondering is it worth making rose hip jelly or is it too time consuming. Never did this before.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Last year after success far beyond my (low) expectations with Bramble jelly I had a go at Grape jelly, Rosehip jelly and Rosemary jelly. The Grape jelly was revolting, the Rosemary jelly was amazingly good and the Rosehip jelly was very time consuming and nothing special. This year I'm sticking to Blackberry jelly, Blackberry and Apple jelly, Rosemary jelly and Mint jelly.

Comment

I make grape and rosemary jelly and it's gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I might have to try that.

Comment

I use them for rose hip syrup but by using the juice extractor on my pasteuriser it's a doddle and really high in Vit C

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I make rosehip syrup by chopping and boiling and straining through muslin. It's lovely on porridge or pancakes x

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I have a load of frozen hips. A lot of recipes seem to be quite time consuming and I hate fiddly things.
                  Hoping someone has some easy answers what to do with them as well.
                  Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                    I might have to try that.
                    Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Me too! I like the sound of grape and rosemary jelly and it looks like I should have lots of grapes to use

Anyone tried grape and rose hip?
                    Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I've made rose hip jelly twice. The first time I thought I must have done it wrong. It took ages to remove the fibrous bits from inside the hips and it gave me a rash but I thought it might be worth it. It wasn't. It looked and tasted like gone off tomato ketchup with too much sugar in it. It was exactly the same the second time. I'm usually loathe to throw anything away, but I did on both occasions. Sorry!

Comment

hi i made rose hip syrup from hips i collected from outside my allotment gate

lovely drizzled on yogurt icecream or what i had yesterday some fresh figs very nice

happy gardening

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by VolesAteMyPeas View Post
                          I've made rose hip jelly twice. The first time I thought I must have done it wrong. It took ages to remove the fibrous bits from inside the hips and it gave me a rash but I thought it might be worth it. It wasn't. It looked and tasted like gone off tomato ketchup with too much sugar in it. It was exactly the same the second time. I'm usually loathe to throw anything away, but I did on both occasions. Sorry!
                          How did you make it? The thing with jelly is that it doesn't matter about the fiborous bits as they're removed when you strain it for the juice so not sure why you'd get a rash.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I make Rose Hip syrup using the hips from the plants edging one side of my lotty and judging by the number of hips, this should be my largest quantity yet. I use it instead of cough mixture. My MIL swears by it
                            Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

I have made 'rosehip + other stuff' jellies a few times but have never found any difference in taste to jellies made without the hips.

There are LOTS of hips about this year so could someone please tell me what rosehip jellies and syrup (should) taste like?

And can anyone post a tried and beloved recipe for me to try please?
                              I'd really like to use this free bounty if I can!
                              http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I'm just bumping this up a bit as I will never find it again if I don't.

(and I'm waffling on because there is a minimum number of words allowed in a post)
                                http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X