Just made.......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just made.......

One small pot of raspberry jam with the handful of raspberries I'd picked at the lottie a while ago and put in the freezer. (Mine all mine!!!!!!!)

Also made four small jars of Jalapeno relish. I've never boiled cider vinegar before..............pooh in don't arf pong!
    Had a taste of it before adding to jars and it was really tasty when hot...........can't wait to taste it when it's cooled down.

Got 1/2 Kilo of wild plums steeping in 1/2 Kilo of sugar overnight so will make the plum jam after work tomorrow. It should hopefully smell a bit better than boiling vinegar!

I can understand why Pigletwillie enjoys making his relishes and suchlike........I really get a kick out of using stuff I got for free from the wild or stuff I've grown in allotment!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

I never really bothered before, but this year we bought some posh jars, so I'm making a batch a day, it's brill.
    So easy.
    I want to make a kind of Reggae Reggae sauce next, because that's what we use most of.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Jalapeno Relish

Hi Snadger,
      know what you mean about making/preserving/freezing free/homegrown produce....its a wonderful feeling!........especially in the cold winter months when you crack open a jar of something and remember the harvesting and making.......will always remember boiling cider vingar!!!!...eewwhh!
      can you tell us your Jalapeno relish recipe?..........I have an excess of Hungarian hot wax at the moment and need to do something with them!
      thanks
      Mrs T

Comment

I love preserving too. You feel you are tasting summer again when you eat it in the winter. It appeals to the Stingy Beggar in me too, that all I've bought is vinegar or sugar.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Snadge, that little pot of raspberry jam will taste like heaven! Enjoy!!

Comment

So far this year I've made raspberry & redcurrant jelly, blackberry & apple jelly, plum jam. Hoping to make plum chutney and plum sauce, possibly green tomato chutney too.

Comment

Two probles to report.................my Jalapeno relish tastes gorgeou but hasn't thickened? Do I need to re-boil it for longer? Or is it cos of the vinegar?

My plum jam tastes of prunes and is brown.................or is that the way it's supposed to taste and look? No problem with thickening there though, just the opposite in fact.

Two teeny but not insurmountable problems methinks!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                Two probles to report.................my Jalapeno relish tastes gorgeou but hasn't thickened? Mine are taking ages to thicken, at least double the time quoted in the recipes

My plum jam tastes of prunes and is brown.................or is that the way it's supposed to taste and look?
                Plums do go a bit brown & yucky ... I just started a vat of plum wine last night, and have got a bucket of brown sludge so far

Comment

I've made a few jars of apple and blackberry jelly, had some this morning on toast yum. Next I'm some doing India apple chutney I don't need any more green tom chutney so I hope all my tomatoes ripen.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    my Jalapeno relish tastes gorgeou but hasn't thickened?
                    Oh no, you cursed me!
                    I had a pan of Onion Marmalade on the simmer and it refused to thicken. After 7 hours simmering, and just getting thinner, I ended up sieving it.

I now have 10 jars of marmalade and 2 tubs of onion stock

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Oh no, you cursed me!
                      After 7 hours simmering, and just getting thinner,
                      Why do you think it did that TS? I presume you add sugar to the onions, do you think there wasn't enough?

Comment

No idea Becki, I don't understand the chemistry/wizardry of preserves. I followed the River Cottage recipes (2 different ones) and both times there has been too much liquid.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          No idea Becki, I don't understand the chemistry/wizardry of preserves. I followed the River Cottage recipes (2 different ones) and both times there has been too much liquid.
                          Hmmm, maybe it has something to do with the water content of the actual thing you are cooking (ie onions or chillis), maybe if its too high it causes an imbalance. Having said that, you would have thought 7 hours of cooking would have evaporated that off rather than making it worse

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X