No announcement yet.

Preserving Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 3 elephant garlics that I grew this year and I want to use the cloves to grow at least 12 next year. The trouble is that the paper surrounding the bulb has come off around the top. Does anyone know if they will store long enough for me to plant them out for the next season or have I blown it?
    Attached Files

Comment

They should be fine because the optimum time for planting is about 6or7 weeks away they take a long time to emerge so do not give up on them....jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by Stacey Steve View Post
        Our first attempt at pickled garlic also ended up with the contents a lovely flirescent green colour and it turned out to be the vonegar was reacting with the metal lid.
        OH! this happened to me too as I was trying to pickle some garlic for my mom who had just been diagnosed with diabetes and I was trying to do it with agave syrup instead of sugar and I thought it was that that had caused the colour reaction! Now I know better I am going to try again, this place is a treasure trove of information, thanks!
        There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

Excellent thread! I was wondering exactly the same thing. Shall stick to drying them then. Thanks!
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
            Excellent thread! I was wondering exactly the same thing. Shall stick to drying them then. Thanks!
            Usually I peel and freeze them in a rigid container as I do with my fresh chillies. They will keep till next year supply.
            Regards
            Don Vincenzo

Comment

Preserving Garlic

I just put the cloves covered with extra virgin olive oil in a large lidded jar in the fridge and keep them there. I did this 2 yrs ago and they're still fine. As I use them I use the oil, now garlic flavoured, in dressings or for cooking, lovely! They go a lovely deep brown colour, slightly soft, but mellow beautifully. The never go soggy done like this.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X