An embarrassingly frugal question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An embarrassingly frugal question

Considering the alarmingly high volume of lemons I am getting through this time of year, I was wondering if zested lemon would freeze well enough to use at a later date? It seems to wasteful to use six lemons for juice when I don't need the zest for anything at the same time. Anyone tried this?
    There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

I've not tried it- but I know it can be done. Just make sure you seal the bag tightly so ice crystals don't form ( the zest will go mushy).
    Good idea !
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hmmmm,

When I buy lemons I pre cut them and freeze straight away, this serves a dual purpose.

1. They last longer.
      2. I use less ice in my G&Ts so it doesn't get watered down as much.

I think the rind does soften slightly but it really isn't that noticeable. I also use them raw in certain dishes too and the texture and taste is fine (I'd rather have a fresh lemon but they are totally acceptable).

Perhaps if just the rind was frozen it'll be OK too.

I just cut them up and put them in an old plastic Chinese take away container.

FH

Comment

Good idea LG! I'll be giving that a try too.

Comment

Great I am going to try it! Forkhandles you have given me some great ideas there as it seems that the flavour is still good after freezing. A great idea to freeze slices/chunks of lemon too seeing as I bought a job lot of reduced price organic lemons this week!

Comment

How about this?

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eel_24374.html
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I always keep a bag of whole lemons in the freezer.
              Just take out a lemon when I need it whether for juice or zest.
              Tip - put the lemon in the microwave for twice as much juice.
              For curry asking for lemon juice I just half the lemon and put it in and discard the skins along with the other whole spices.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                Cor....I like the look of those chocolate coated jobbies sbp!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                  Yes I did this with orange peel as part of my christmas hampers and they were flippin delicious! I ended up having to make more and more batches because we kept eating them ourselves
                  I never fancied them with lemon peel though for some reason, but I have decided this is an irrational prejudice and I will give them a go, thanks SBP!

As a side note, I thought they were such a lovely little gift in bow-tied cellophane I popped a pack in with the xmas cards to all my neighbours, and not one of them acknowledged it! Yes I know I know you're not supposed to expect thanks for a gift bla bla, but they won't be getting them this year

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    Cor....I like the look of those chocolate coated jobbies sbp!
                    urmmm..do you know what a jobbie is Snadge???

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearc...itle&resnum=4#

Last edited by Nicos; 11-07-2009, 04:52 PM.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Frozen lemons, great idea, and for the zest, will start doing that.....
                      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Hi
                        I've always zested any lemons just used for juice and kept it in the freezer in a little plastic pot. Never had any problem.

If I've got the dehydrator on the go, I dry the skins minus the pith and then grind them up as a cake flavouring.

Or if I want to make candied peel then I keep a bag of peels on the go in the freezer until I've got enough to make a batch.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                          Hi
                          I've always zested any lemons just used for juice and kept it in the freezer in a little plastic pot. Never had any problem.

If I've got the dehydrator on the go, I dry the skins minus the pith and then grind them up as a cake flavouring.

Or if I want to make candied peel then I keep a bag of peels on the go in the freezer until I've got enough to make a batch.

Sue
                          Sue, will you be my new guru?

Comment

The WI book of Jams, Pickles & Chutneys has a recipe for 'Pennywise Marmalade', made using fruit peel that you've saved through the year - the peel can be kept in the freezer until you have enough. You just add fresh lemons when making the marmalade, to get the pips for Pectin (If anyone wants the recipe, let me know & I'll post it).

So yes, you can freeze the lemon peel, Lostgoddess!
                            Many people have eaten in my kitchen & gone on to lead normal, healthy lives.

Comment

There is no such thing as embarrassingly frugal round here, LG!

Originally posted by ForkHandles View Post
                              Hmmmm,

2. I use less ice in my G&Ts so it doesn't get watered down as much.
                              This is surely brilliant!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X