Originally posted by anthonyjb View Post
    Plant BIG GET small plant small get BIG how does that work

Anthony
    Nobody knows, but it just works.

Comment

Plant BIG GET small plant small get BIG how does that work

Anthony
      Big shallots form a 'cluster' of many cloves(bulbs)similar to garlic but small shallots usually stay singular because of there diminutive starting size.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Is there a best time to pickle? We have a few golfball sized winter onions which probably wont grow much more now, do you think they would be ok to pickle, or would they be too old?

Defo going to try to pickle some shallots, we have grown far too many onions this year!

Thanks all

Michelle

Comment

Sarraceniac

How much Balsamic vinegar do you add to a ltr of pickling vinegar when you pickle shallots
          many thanks
          Anthony
          I don't mix them. There are some recipes where you do but as long as you are using just cheap balsamic then nothing is saved. I love garlic mixed with them and use this recipe:

Pickled shallots and garlic in balsamic vinegar: Recipes: Good Food Channel

but if you want something different just Google 'pickled shallots balsamic' and there are several on the web.
          Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
          >
          >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

when u bottle the shallots do u sterilise the jars or just pickle away and seal the jar with its lid.
            a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Sarraceniac

How much Balsamic vinegar do you add to a ltr of pickling vinegar when you pickle shallots
              many thanks
              Anthony
              I used 25/75 balsamic to picking vinegar last year and they were lovely!

Comment

I lifted my shallots today, gee whizz there's loads. I was planning on using this method......

How to Pickle Onions - Storing And Freezing (UK)

Like the balsamic idea though, will give that a try too.

Comment

Originally posted by butter fingers View Post
                  when u bottle the shallots do u sterilise the jars or just pickle away and seal the jar with its lid.
                  If your going to keep them any length of time then sterilise. I find that washing in very hot water and drying in a low oven works well for all preserves but of course you are less likely to get a fungus or mould with vinegar than you are with sugar so it is not as critical as jam making.
                  Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                  >
                  >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Amanda
                    Many thanks for the v useful link, shall be using that a lot in the next month or two!
                    best wishes
                    Sue

Comment

I will be freezing mine whole to pop into winter stews with carrots , swede, celery and tatties. Home grown stew packs bring back the taste o your garden in the winter darkness.

Wren
                      Last edited by Wren; 10-07-2009, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X