Making the onions last longer?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the onions last longer?

Not sure if this is quite the right place, but I was wondering if anyone has tips for keeping the stored onions from shooting for as long as possible? I've still got several pounds on strings, but they're all shooting now.

I haven't got the ideal breezy barn, but they can choose between a dark garage (which I seem to remember is a bad idea) or a light, old wendy house which is really like a small shed.

Any other suggestions gratefully received....
    Growing in the Garden of England

Originally posted by kentvegplot View Post
    Not sure if this is quite the right place, but I was wondering if anyone has tips for keeping the stored onions from shooting for as long as possible? I've still got several pounds on strings, but they're all shooting now.

I haven't got the ideal breezy barn, but they can choose between a dark garage (which I seem to remember is a bad idea) or a light, old wendy house which is really like a small shed.

Any other suggestions gratefully received....
    If they've already started shooting it is probably too late for anything but cutting up and freezing (or some other 'prepared' storage). To prevent shooting, temperature is the vital key, but ventilation is always critical.....
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

It's very hard to stop them sprouting at this time of year as it's nice and warm for them. You need to keep them somewhere cool but airy in future but you'll still lose some.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The ones I put in the fridge lasted a lot longer than the ones I left hanging in the shed.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          The ones I put in the fridge lasted a lot longer than the ones I left hanging in the shed.
          You've kept onions in your fridge for 8/9 month?????????
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

After harvesting they must be kept as dry as possible, baked in the sun if you can before stringing and hanging up. Then placed in a cool dry area (or 2 Sheds enormous fridge). If you've got them this far through the season without too much sprouting thats pretty good and the first of the winter onions should be ready to pick soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              No.
              When the weather, and the shed, started to warm up in March, I moved them into the fridge (I only had a couple of pounds left by then)

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                I couldn't have fitted them in for the seed potatoes I'd stored!!!

I'd assume you'd only have to put them in as the weather warmed. I just don't think i'd want them in the fridge anyway..not really practical is it?..doesn't the cream/everything else smell like onions!?

Shallots last a bit longer I find, and then I planted some overwintering onion sets so they are swelling now so I can pinch a few of those.... It is a season thing. Onions sprout in spring, Use them quicker next year.

Comment

Thanks all! I can see a large batch of soup coming up this weekend, and I shall remind myself to use them more quickly next year.
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Or just chop and freeze for those days between one batch and another.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                      .doesn't the cream/everything else smell like onions!?
                      What is cream? We only keep beer in our fridge

No, they are in a deep salad drawer, they don't taint anything else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X